SPH-4 and PVS-5 GM-6

hawkdriver

Well, my wait and project has come to fruition. I have been looking for all the parts to build a PVS-5 cut-away and a GM-6 mount display. Recently I came into both a set of tubes and a GM-6 mount. The GM-6 was developed after the full face cut-away was developed to allow for peripheral viewing inside the cockpit. The GM-6 was developed by the National Guard, hence the GM in the nomenclature. The was the first powered mount and seperate battery pack. The actual first battery pack was a smaller pack that took only the small round batteries. This was quite a leap forward and those of us that got to fly these after the cut aways, they were the cats meow.

These tubes are empty and the wiring was cut away, so they are not operational, nor will they ever be, they are simply display models. Here is the result:

wb9pon.jpg

x5t6ya.jpg

2rqen3n.jpg

This helmet is my first ever issued SPH-4. Back when I was an industrious lad, I made this helmet cover for the helmet and actually wore this for quite some time.

1z6qiya.jpg

w7lp2u.jpg

1fu25g.jpg

2vv2kvr.jpg

9gld35.jpg

dvjayt.jpg

The 6s were an improvement over the cutaway 5s, they allowed a little more peripheral vision.

And I can't think of a single ALSE officer who wouldn't have spontaneously prolapsed his rectum after seeing that cover.... :lol:

And I can't think of a single ALSE officer who wouldn't have spontaneously prolapsed his rectum after seeing that cover.... :lol:

Ha ha! They probably would have if they would have been albe to see me, funny how camoflage works! Wait until you see the HGU-56 one that I wore for about three years. I submitted a couple of these as part of the Army Suggestion Program, but they kept disappearing. One ended up at USAARL, but I never heard back on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this while looking for something else, I thought it was a hood at first till I looked closer and saw that it wouldn't be a very practical hood. So I decided to read the piece of paper that came with it...ah ha! Now I know what it is!

post-2757-1329946093.jpg

Found this while looking for something else, I thought it was a hood at first till I looked closer and saw that it wouldn't be a very practical hood. So I decided to read the piece of paper that came with it...ah ha! Now I know what it is!

post-2757-1329946093.jpg

Heh heh heh, now you're hooked!

Oh I've been hooked! haha This has been in my collection for a few years now, I just never looked very closely at it before. I just assumed it was a hood.

Ya, but now the hook is set, just time to reel you in! We are waiting for your completed pictures now :)

Pretty cool Hawk - nice you could get all the bits and pieces together to do that with!

In my helmet collecting days I had the mounts and the helmet and the attached battery pack and all but never ever considered I'd have a set of the goggles.

With that in mind, would you ever consider sending the goggle set to the guy who does the reson copies of ordnance and such? There is a great article on what he does in this month's Military Trader. I suspect flight helmet collectors would buy up resin copies of the goggle sets for display use, as there is just literally no way 99.999999% of them will ever have a chance to get the real goggles, demilled, de-wired, or otherwise. I bet he could figure out a way to cast the set so that the goggles could be attached to the mount....

Give it some thought! In the meantime, nice job, and pics of the HGU-56 cover please :)

MW

Pretty cool Hawk - nice you could get all the bits and pieces together to do that with!

In my helmet collecting days I had the mounts and the helmet and the attached battery pack and all but never ever considered I'd have a set of the goggles.

With that in mind, would you ever consider sending the goggle set to the guy who does the reson copies of ordnance and such? There is a great article on what he does in this month's Military Trader. I suspect flight helmet collectors would buy up resin copies of the goggle sets for display use, as there is just literally no way 99.999999% of them will ever have a chance to get the real goggles, demilled, de-wired, or otherwise. I bet he could figure out a way to cast the set so that the goggles could be attached to the mount....

Give it some thought! In the meantime, nice job, and pics of the HGU-56 cover please :)

MW

I will dig for it this weekend