Yesterday I made a trip out to the local antique stores and made a pretty good haul. Below are a pair individual score books for the rifle. They are ID'd to Pvt. Walter F. Swanson, HQ Det., 3rd Bn., 179th Inf. ASN 36116633. What makes these really cool is that the M1 he used was made about a month after one I own and the dates that his practice took place share the date with a pretty historic event. Some of the dates are from the summer of 1941 and others are from the fall/winter of 1941.

Get a load of the dates! He was on the range Saturday December 6, 1941. Take note of the pattern he fired, not too impressive. He was back on the range Monday December 8, 1941 and look at the improvement! What a difference being at war makes :w00t: I think this is really neat, one day he was at peace, two days latter he is at war and must have had the sense that now his skill with a rifle was much more important.

scorebooks1.jpg

scorebooks2.jpg

scorebooks3.jpg

scorebooks4.jpg

scorebooks5.jpg

Looking for anything relating to the 78th US Naval Construction Battalion during WWII and the 26th Inf. Regt. 1st Inf. Div. during WWII

carbinekid,

What great pieces of history! I have a few of these score books, and they are excellent sources of specific personal information, including weapon serial numbers. Really cool stuff!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
Past President, The American Thompson Association
American Society of Arms Collectors
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
Carbine Club
Garand Collectors Association

International Ammunition Association
Contributing Writer, Small Arms Review Magazine
Co-Author, "Thompson Manuals, Catalogs, & Other Paper Items" Collector Guide
One of the "Other Authors" of "The Ultimate Thompson Book," by Tracie L. Hill
Eagle Scout, and Member of NESA

Pearl Harbor attack or not... the training schedule must go on!

It really seems odd that they went back to something that routine the day after the bombing... but the wheels of bureaucracy turn slow!

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Pearl Harbor attack or not... the training schedule must go on!

It really seems odd that they went back to something that routine the day after the bombing... but the wheels of bureaucracy turn slow!

I was just about to post the same thing. "Yeah, things are still burning at Pearl, people are still dying, but YOU MUST GO TO THE RANGE! IT'S ON THE SCHEDULE!!!"

Typical military mindset....... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.