Graveyard of DUKW's

MWalsh

That circular marking on the one vehicle was probably for a Civil Defense vehicle. I've published these before, these were taken in the 1960's.

DUKW_Niagara_3b.jpg

DUKW_Niagara_1b.jpg

I have fond memories of those Dells Ducks! Ive been there about 4 times since I was a little baby. In fact, when I was about 3 or 4 ( yes, I still had one), my pacifier I had in my mouth fell into the water when my mom showed me over the side. Some day, a diver is going to find that pacifier and throw it in the thrash heap.

Thanks for posting! These ducks are a common sight here in Boston during the summer- a perennial favorite with the tourists who invade Boston from the Cambridge side of the Charles.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Jerry, I suspect it may be the same place that gives the tours of the graveyard as had the ones I photoed? Not sure though. I will have to make a trip to the Dells and find out. We'll call it an official USMF "on assignment" reporting trip. Now if I can just get the Forum to pay the expenses... One would have to stay at a waterpark there too.. could be a DUKW in one of the rides I suppose...

In all seriousness, I have never ridden one. But need to! I have wondered, does anyone here own one or have enough experience with these to know if they had enough power to fight a current, say going upstream or out to sea or something like that? I imagine the Dells ones just go downstream on water and upstream on land just due to the fuel costs otherwise, but can anyone tell me on their "power"?

MW

Thanks for posting! These ducks are a common sight here in Boston during the summer- a perennial favorite with the tourists who invade Boston from the Cambridge side of the Charles.

They are pretty common in the tourist and lake areas of the Ozarks too. I recently read an article on the ducks in Branson, MO. When I was a youngster in the early 60s, my Dad purchased a White Half Track from a military surplus depot in Memphis, TN. They had a row of ducks and I really wanted him to buy one...well that didn't happen, but that old half track skidded many logs and pulled a lot of tractors out of muddy fields.

Regards,

• 3 years later...

Living on the Mississippi River we have an occasional flood, and the city or one of the local industries had a DUKW for years, had enough power to move through the river flood current and carry a pretty good load as I recall. I road in it on several trips into flooded area of our industrial sector and delivered sand bags etc. I don't know what happened to it.