USMC Desert Storm NBC Suit Question

flashesandovals

flashesandovals

Hi,

I got this scrap book from a guy who served with 2/2 Marines in Desert Storm.

On some pictures he can be seen wearing what appears to be a 6-color desert NBC suit.

I do have 3 sets of 6-color NBC suits in my collection, but the model is the exact same type as the regular woodland ones.

This one is quite different.

Can anyone identify it. Is is US made?

Thanks!

post-9154-1328990398.jpg

flashesandovals
Hi,

I got this scrap book from a guy who served with 2/2 Marines in Desert Storm.

On some pictures he can be seen wearing what appears to be a 6-color desert NBC suit.

I do have 3 sets of 6-color NBC suits in my collection, but the model is the exact same type as the regular woodland ones.

This one is quite different.

Can anyone identify it. Is is US made?

Thanks!

2nd PIC

post-9154-1328990462.jpg

THANK YOU for posting them! There were a lot of six color NBC suits floating in the surplus markets but everybody thought they were made for Kuwaits because they were "never" worn by US. Those are beautiful evidence that they were issued to US troops. (Probably in limited number though).

British mk5 for the Arab market. There is 2 versions , 2 pocket chest and single pocket chest.

Also some may have been sent over with the British as we didn't have any desert camo period at the start of the war. The British special forces wore relic items left over from WW2, so another countries camo till yours is made is quiet plausible.

I was a LCPL in the USMCR that was activated for Desert Shield / Storm. In late Nov early Dec of 1990 I went to an abreviated NBC School at Camp Lejeune, NC. I was collecting back then so I had my eye out for what ever I could pick up. I saw, but could not get one of these NBC Suits that were being tested at the time (Believe me I tried).

When we went into Saudi Arabia / Kuwait, we had the Old heavy MOPP suit. Some other USMC Units were issued the British made lighter weight NBC Suits. Great Photo. Until I saw this, I did not know that any US Marines wore this in theatre.

Since they were being tested in Lejeune, It makes sence that an east coast BN (2/2) would have gotten them.

Thanks for posting

John

Great pics! In 1990-91 my unit (229th Attack Helicopter Regiment) only had the older OD green MOPP suits and M-17A1s. In fact, I don't think we were issued the woodland ones until 1994 or so.

Check out the novelty patch on his PASGT vest cover...

Look at the guys boots, they look like high top sneakers with the rubber bumper fronts.

flashesandovals
A combat cook wearing Israeli commando boots, kind of odd. The pictures are a little strange also, do you have anymore photos to post?

Like said, I have the guy's entire scrap book, the boot camp class book (or whatever you call these yearbooks) And the 2/2 Marines's Desert Storm commemorative photo album.

Also included is a letter from the unit thanking his wife or mother for his photos that were used in that book.

Furthermore, there are a couple of certificates and newspaper clippings.

I don't even know if he is still alive (because of that letter addressed to his mum or wife).

USMC not being in my area of collecting, I never did any research on the person.

I merely kept the grouping because of the Desert Storm subject.

What do you need more pictures for? I have the grouping at my museum and will take more photos at the end of this month if needed.

Cheers,

Pascal