-TBF

US82Bravo

Another of my recent paper finds. No identifying markings or notes on the photo. The aircraft carries the pre - June 1943 national insignia and the aircraft number "34" on the lower lip of the cowling.

post-8013-1328925921.jpg

Larry

Johnny Signor

probably a standard "Navy" photo by Grumman seeing as it's in the early markings, possibly a "publicity " photo for the magazine war ads ........................

Johnny Signor
Right on, thanks for sharing. My Dad was a Gunner in a Avenger.

Mark

Hey Mark, what VT unit was he with ? If he's still with us give him my thanks for his WW-2 service , it's much appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

He has another photo of an Avenger...but it is not flying, it is floating (well, in the process of sinking) in Tokyo Bay with him hanging onto the horizontal stab. before they got the raft inflated and the USS Gabilan (US Submarine posted in Tokyo Bay to pick up downed Aircrew) picked them up. I will see if I can get a copy of that photo one of these day and post it on here.

This talk of TBF/TBM Avengers has reminded me. Nearby where I live (Toledo, Ohio) there is a restored TBM Avenger at an airfield in Monroe, Michigan called "Ida Red". I am thinking of contacting the owner and seeing if we could get his squadron mates up there to see it when they have the reunion in Sept. or Oct.

Mark

Johnny Signor

Hey great idea about the local TBM and getting the guys there if possible, I'm sure they'd love seeing the ole "Turkey" again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you ever want a leather patch made of VT-34 for your dad , I can make it for him.

Johnny

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone interested in a set of gear legs for a TBM or TBF? Not sure which of the two it is. In the Tampa Florida area.

tenacious101010, you might find some takers on those gear legs over at warbirdinformationexchange.org.

Cheers!

~J~

Hey Mark, what VT unit was he with ? If he's still with us give him my thanks for his WW-2 service , it's much appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

+1, Thank you for your service, Sir.

~J~