Right on, thanks for sharing. My Dad was a Gunner in a Avenger.

Mark

Last of the famous Tomcat Plane Captains.

U.S. Navy 1989-1993

VF-302 Fighting Stallions, NAS Miramar, San Diego, So. Cal. 1990-1993DSCN0808.jpg

He was in VT-34 off of the USS Monterey CVL-26 and he is very much alive. Having a squadron reunion next Autumn.

Mark

U.S. Navy 1989-1993

VF-302 Fighting Stallions, NAS Miramar, San Diego, So. Cal. 1990-1993DSCN0808.jpg

He has another photo of an Avenger...but it is not flying, it is floating (well, in the process of sinking) in Tokyo Bay with him hanging onto the horizontal stab. before they got the raft inflated and the USS Gabilan (US Submarine posted in Tokyo Bay to pick up downed Aircrew) picked them up. I will see if I can get a copy of that photo one of these day and post it on here.

This talk of TBF/TBM Avengers has reminded me. Nearby where I live (Toledo, Ohio) there is a restored TBM Avenger at an airfield in Monroe, Michigan called "Ida Red". I am thinking of contacting the owner and seeing if we could get his squadron mates up there to see it when they have the reunion in Sept. or Oct.

Mark

U.S. Navy 1989-1993

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone interested in a set of gear legs for a TBM or TBF? Not sure which of the two it is. In the Tampa Florida area.

tenacious101010, you might find some takers on those gear legs over at warbirdinformationexchange.org.

Cheers!

~J~

~J~

Brat

Hello Gap

What squadron was your Uncle with? My Dad was with VT-34.

Thanks

Mark

U.S. Navy 1989-1993