A VIP Through The Canal

US82Bravo

I've gotten a bunch of paper stuff lately. This is one of the items. It was framed and is approximately 8" x 10". Note the information in the upper right corner. Both DANFS and NavSource identify this as FDR's trip throught the Canal 11 July 1934, not 1938.

A high res scan of this photo shows alot of detail that is lost when the image is reduced to posting size. Some letters on the guidons of the assembled troops are readable in the scan. There are two float planes.

The back of the frame had a name and some additional information written in pen. The name shows up on the Houston's muster rolls as a MM 1/c crew member from June 1935 until his transfer to Navy Yard, Pearl Harbor and then to the USS Savannah in November 1940. He would have been a crew member for FDR's Canal visits in 1935 and 1938.

Houston was sunk at the Battle of the Java Sea, February 1942.

More research is in progress.

post-8013-1328846936.jpg

Larry

Larry, have you read, "The Ghost Ship"? It is about the Houston and what happened to her survivors. Very well done.

Kenneth,

I haven't read that book. I have read about the Houston's final battle in "The Fleet the Gods Forgot" by W.G. Winslow.

Winslow was an officer in the aviation unit aboard the Houston when it was sunk and was taken prisoner.

Thanks for the book recommendation.

Larry

Man, I'd love to have something related to the Houston. Hornfischer's a heck of a naval author, title is actually "Ship of Ghosts." I enjoyed his "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors," but after reading it and the one about the Houston, I am a diehard fan of his work. I wonder if Albert J. Lindsley was on her when that picture was taken. Local man that died at Camp 100 Kilo.

I wonder if Albert J. Lindsley was on her when that picture was taken. Local man that died at Camp 100 Kilo.

Garandomatic,

The muster rolls show that Albert J. Lindsley entered the service at Cleveland, Ohio on 16 Apr 40. He joined the Houston on 6/2/41. The last muster roll entry indicates that he died 6/1/43 as a POW and was "Buried in Japanese Prison Camp."

Larry

• 2 years later...

Bravo,

What was the sailors name on the back of the photo? I have a partial roster of various sailors who served aboard the U.S.S. Savannah from 1938 - 1947. He might be on it! :D

Regards,
FRISCAN