USS Newport News / Heavy Cruiser

spit9mm

This is the commissioning pennant for the USS Newport News, commissioned in 1949 under Captain Roland N. Smoot.

Enclosed is a photo of my Uncle Robert James Buehner whom after being Honorably Discharged in 1948 was talked into reenlisting for another four years by Smoot. The story goes that Smoot had befriended my Uncle who during his first four years was a ships Cook Second Class. Smoot supposedly like my Uncles cooking so much that he asked him to reenlist and that he would be promoted to Ships Cook First Class upon a new ship the USS Newport News. After Smoot was reassigned from the Newport News he gave my Uncle the ships Commission Pennant.

I have not seen to many of these things around so if anyone has any comment I would like to hear from you

Thanks

Sal

post-43787-1328829692.jpg

Depending on how often a ship is at sea, they'll go through multiple pennants each year. Sigsaye could probably tell you the normal usage rate, but I have seen them last around a month during a deployment...and upwards of 8+ months while in the yards (depending on weather). Additionally, each CO is typically given one of these as a parting gift during their change of command ceremony (often framed). Normally though, these are disposed of when they get worn out, unless given to someone like your uncle. One would tend to think they'd be a bit more common, but tend not to be. I normally (lots of "normally" here) see a handful of sale per year across ePay and unless they are older or are attributed, they don't bring major money. One like this one, is nice and has a good history to go with it. However, it's post-WW2, so that doesn't give it a premium. If I had to venture a guess, this would bring somewhere between $40 and $85 on eBay, possibly higher if there's someone who collects NEWPORT NEWS items.

Personally, I'd frame it along with the photo of your uncle and write up the history to go with it. These look swell framed and on the wall!

Dave

• 1 year later...

Depending on how often a ship is at sea, they'll go through multiple pennants each year. Sigsaye could probably tell you the normal usage rate, but I have seen them last around a month during a deployment...and upwards of 8+ months while in the yards (depending on weather). Additionally, each CO is typically given one of these as a parting gift during their change of command ceremony (often framed). Normally though, these are disposed of when they get worn out, unless given to someone like your uncle. One would tend to think they'd be a bit more common, but tend not to be. I normally (lots of "normally" here) see a handful of sale per year across ePay and unless they are older or are attributed, they don't bring major money. One like this one, is nice and has a good history to go with it. However, it's post-WW2, so that doesn't give it a premium. If I had to venture a guess, this would bring somewhere between $40 and $85 on eBay, possibly higher if there's someone who collects NEWPORT NEWS items.

Personally, I'd frame it along with the photo of your uncle and write up the history to go with it. These look swell framed and on the wall!

Dave

that's a great idea Dave! That sort of display would be stunning! Hope the OP follows that advice. I'd love to see the finished result. I love that era of heavy cruiser design.

Terry

Dave's comments are spot-on and Sigs would echo them while adding even greater detail.

Commissioning pennants while seen infrequently certainly are not a rarity. In my opinion, they are more of a personally-significant item rather than something unique. Considering that, there are unique commissioning pennants - such as the first one raised over a ship as she is placed into commission or the last one as she is decommissioned.

When I see one that is pristine it tells me that it is very likely to not have been flown (at least in the case of the modern, screen-printed pennants). The stack gasses are quite dirty and the masts they are flown from (the highest if there are multiples) are typically in close proximity to the stacks so it is a given that they get quite dingy and dirty. In the case of WWII ships, I have seen the pennants (with sewn stripes and embroidered/sewn stars) from WWII in similar condition as yours so I am lead to believe that they were either more impervious to the soot or they were laundered (or perhaps only ceremonially flown??).

My own CP (from CG-49) was raised on commissioning day and taken down only a few weeks later (I got it from my SM friend when he was changing it out):

7223764740_8d2c21692c_c.jpg

This CP was flown over the CL-64 during WWII and is in an archive at Vincennes University that is dedicated to all four Vincennes warships:

7223814528_0f20ff51e6_c.jpg

Whoa, Dave...that is an impressive group!

Sooty and tattered is how they should look after flying for an extended period of time (CPs fly 24x7 until they are changed out for a new one).

While I know little about these and really don't fancy myself much of a knowledgeable person when it comes to USN, I still like the oddity of these. Very cool, thanks for showing them guys.