Named U.S. Air Force Distinguished Rifleman Badge 14k

ludwigh1980

Howdy all, I have a quandry. I have purchased a small group of ods and ends from the son of a long time U.S. Airforce Serviceman. As we were talking about his fathers history he mentioned that his father was an Air Force Distinquished Rifleman and that he has his gold 14k Named U.S. Airforce Distinguised Rifleman Badge. He has several other shooting medals as well as his match rifle. I am familiar with Army and Marine Corp gold marksman badges however I am at a lost about an Air Force one. I assume they are much rarer but are they as much or more sought after or less. Is there many people that collect such things. I know the rifle could be anything and I can come up with a decent idea about its value . I want to make him a decent offer for everything but I try to always keep it in the back of my mind that I might have to resale the item in the future. I know with-out pictures it doen't help. Is a U.S.A.F. Badge more sought after than say a Marine Corp example of similar age (I am guessing it dates from the late 1950's) Not looking for a dollar amount, just an idea if there is a market for such a badge over and above its gold content.

Thanks for any help,

Terry in Grand Junction Colorado

USAF DISTINGUISHED RIFLEMAN BADGE

Attached are pictures of a first issue USAF Distinguished Rifleman Badge. I have been collecting these badges for a long time and all my experience and research indcates the "real" gold badges (issued from the late 1950's into the late 1960's) were only made by L G Balfour and marked "LGB 10K". Have never seen one marked 14K. Issue badges are named and serial numbered. One other interesting item, the Air Force is the only service where the Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge is the same size as the DR (For a short time the Coast Guard DPS was the same size as the DR)>

post-14361-1328755994.jpg

post-14361-1328756059.jpg

• 10 years later...

I’ve found these on eBay, while I see the bronze version on Jeff’s link I don’t see a reference to gold versions and I’m wondering if anybody has seen others or owns others in gold. I can calculate the basic gold value of these which is about half of what the listing price is but outside of that I’m wondering what the community thinks the intrinsic in collector value would be based on the scarcity of the Air Force awards?  

C0B6299C-CFCE-4A3C-8FDD-3C3245ECADAF.jpeg

8880D3B1-7FAA-452F-9355-DF7FC2FFA3B1.jpeg

3407CB68-B915-4882-87E6-514C0A48BE73.jpeg

6ED8FCA3-D2CD-4470-A0CA-9B2C268C6459.jpeg

12EA5F1D-E7AE-458E-9A8C-4C01AF1D651D.jpeg

759F9A1D-948A-4266-A5A6-DE9328DE2D44.jpeg