Common misspellings

pathfinder44

I've always used and have seen it spelled as Entrenching (hence E-Tool). However according to the internet, both are correct...and as we all know, the internet is never wrong!

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/intrenching

MasonK,

Intrench is a variation, however acceptable use is Entrench. If we were sticklers for proper punctuation, grammar and style (like the press USED to be), we'd never use the Intrench variant.

But, this is an internet forum and communication still manages to occur despite our varied backgrounds, education and experience levels or typing skills. The point still manages to get across quite well here. :)

pathfinder505
Intrenching - meaning: to perform trench work while "in a trench"

Bail, bail, Bayle, Bayol, Bayer, Baez....whatever works!

Wasn't Baez a singer?

A bail is the metal handle for a bucket or pail; also the metal loop for a pocket knife.

A bail is a package of bulky goods tied up or in a bundle; think a bail of cotton.

Using the word "bail" for the metal loop on a helmet is simply a colloquialism (informal conversation).

One should not become obstreperous over the piddling differences as long as the meaning is pellucid.

A bail is the metal handle for a bucket or pail; also the metal loop for a pocket knife.

A bail is a package of bulky goods tied up or in a bundle; think a bail of cotton.

Using the word "bail" for the metal loop on a helmet is simply a colloquialism (informal conversation).

One should not become obstreperous over the piddling differences as long as the meaning is pellucid.

Nice

Some common misspellings I see all the time:

"Entrenching" (as in Tool) is correct, not "Intrenching"

AFAIK it was known as an intrenching tool for a long time before spellings changed.

The term was used for a long time around the late 19th & early 20th centuries.

Et, Etienne, merci beaucoup...Nous sommes dans le mème bateau...N'est-ce-pas?

Fausto

Yes, we are ... sans aucun doute :thumbsup:

I've lost track of incorrect nomenclatures...M1911A1 frequently becomes M 1911a1, M-1911 a1, etc.

Posters frequently seek 'advise'--I'm not sure whether they they want guidance, or something to hold their project.

But what drives me to distraction is the substitution of 'your' for 'you're' and 'to' for 'too.'

And, Two for Tea,and Tea for Two, Da,Da,Da....Da,Da...Da,Da,Da.......Da :lol:

Howz about CAVALRY for the Horse Soldier not CALVARY were Christ was crucified. That one always gets me!

I,ve seen the use of Calvary used in several military history books over the years to describe a horrific battle, like the battle of LZ Albany where the 2nd Battalion 7th Cavalry was hit real hard, 151 KIA, 121 WIA. Also in WWI, the campaigns in Dolomite Alps, with the Austrians and Italians, on the West Front naturally, describing the terrible slaughter that took place there in those endless battles. Histories of The Battle of the Hürtgenwald sometimes use the word, like in the 28th Division time in the forrest, as in the 112th Infantry's Calvary at Schmidt.

I always assumed that "intrenching" was the Americanized spelling of the British/English "entrenching". You'll notice that British posters such as myself will spell many words differently from the mainly American posters. Please note that these are not errors...rather, they are the original English spellings subsequently modified / simplified by Noah Webster when he compiled his American dictionary! Two nations, divided by a common language! ;)

A horse of a different colour,I am off for a spot of tea and a fag,but first I must park the lorry and go to the loo.

Bob,not your uncle!

A horse of a different colour,I am off for a spot of tea and a fag,but first I must park the lorry and go to the loo.

Bob,not your uncle!

Ah yes...cliche-ridden "stage" English. We don't all sound like Dick Van-Dyke in "Mary Poppins" you know! ;)

I had some good deal on ebay searching just for mispelled description: calvary, helmut, kompass an so on. As regards my redskin-like english, I dont care since people is able to understand me.

Ah yes...cliche-ridden "stage" English. We don't all sound like Dick Van-Dyke in "Mary Poppins" you know! ;)

Oh ya, enunciate aluminum. See, you can't do it properly :lol:

I had some good deal on ebay searching just for mispelled description: calvary, helmut, kompass an so on. As regards my redskin-like english, I dont care since people is able to understand me.

This is where misspelling actually can pay off. I picked up an original scope mount for a M1903A4 for $50 (they usually go for $250 and up) because the seller spelled the manufacturer as "Readfield" instead of "Redfield." There is also "knive" as opposed to "knife" and "model' instead of "mark" (and vice versa).