Common misspellings

pathfinder44

Some common misspellings I see all the time:

"Entrenching" (as in Tool) is correct, not "Intrenching"

"Ordnance" is correct, not "Ordinance" (This one always gets me as I am a retired Ordnance officer.)

Some common misspellings I see all the time:

"Entrenching" (as in Tool) is correct, not "Intrenching"

"Ordnance" is correct, not "Ordinance" (This one always gets me as I am a retired Ordnance officer.)

Hey, is it a helmet bail or bail? is it probably or prolly? I hope you don't mind me ax'n you these questions :lol:

Hey, is it a helmet bail or bail? is it probably or prolly? I hope you don't mind me ax'n you these questions :lol:

Hey Hawk'...ain't you done no proper book larnin'?! ;)

One that drives me crazy is "calvary" instead of cavalry.

There's a BIG difference there.

Ha! That one always messes me up. I always have to double and triple check before I post anything using those words!

It's a tough one for dyslexic people like me!

Leonardo

The one that drives me the craziest is when people put "there" instead of "their".

Or they put "there" instead of "they're"

I think the computer world has made it so people can no longer spell or write grammatically correct sentences.

And one more thing....

What has happened to punctuation or proper sentence structure? I see entire posts with NO capital letters even at the beginning of the sentence.

I guess I am showing my old age..... :lol:

The one that drives me the craziest is when people put "there" instead of "their".

Or they put "there" instead of "they're"

I think the computer world has made it so people can no longer spell or write grammatically correct sentences.

And one more thing....

What has happened to punctuation or proper sentence structure? I see entire posts with NO capital letters even at the beginning of the sentence.

I guess I am showing my old age..... :lol:

No you aren't Kat. You're just telling it like it should be. Text-speak has a lot to answer for! :pinch:

So is it bail or bail?? I'm guilty of a few spelling errors, but it's usually a typo, or getting ahead of myself. I do find that the older I get, the more it goes if I don't use it. Heck, I was 2 time spelling bee district champ, too.

Oh! This thread sounds like a Beethoven symphony to my Italian ears... Really nice to hear how many American end English guys are unsatisfied of English written on the Forum by American and English people... Any time I post a new thread I wonder about how many mistakes will be found in my words...

Fausto

Oh! This thread sounds like a Beethoven symphony to my Italian ears... Really nice to hear how many American end English guys are unsatisfied of English written on the Forum by American and English people... Any time I post a new thread I wonder about how many mistakes will be found in my words...

Fausto

Non ti preoccupare il mio amico! :lol:

Fausto

Fausto, I just can say I feel the same each time I write something on this forum.

I'll add that it's'good news to read that someone cares about english as much as we care about our own mother tongues !

El Bibliotecario

I've lost track of incorrect nomenclatures...M1911A1 frequently becomes M 1911a1, M-1911 a1, etc.

Posters frequently seek 'advise'--I'm not sure whether they they want guidance, or something to hold their project.

But what drives me to distraction is the substitution of 'your' for 'you're' and 'to' for 'too.'

I always assumed that "intrenching" was the Americanized spelling of the British/English "entrenching". You'll notice that British posters such as myself will spell many words differently from the mainly American posters. Please note that these are not errors...rather, they are the original English spellings subsequently modified / simplified by Noah Webster when he compiled his American dictionary! Two nations, divided by a common language! ;)