Removing Black Marker Pen from Web Gear

suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

Have you had any luck removing Black Marker Felt Pen Writting off of tan web gear?..I do not want to soak the entire piece as I do not want to chance removing the Contract Date, Maker, etc.? Thanks for answering. Richard

I always try washing it by hand in cool water with Woolite the letting it dry in the sun. Hair spray is supposed to lift ball point ink. You might have luck with lifting or diminishing felt tip marker by carefully blotting with alcohol. Try a hidden spot first to make sure it doesnt lift the dye out of the item too. If you try denatured alcohol use it sparingly and outside. HTH

Tim

If it's water-based ink then you run the risk of it bleeding. If it was a spirit-based permanent marker then unfortunately there's not a lot you can do about it.

If it's from a Sharpie or Magic Marker, I don't know of any good way to do it without potentially ruining the piece or leaving "ghosts" where it was removed.

Wish I could help! :crying:

Dave

suwanneetrader

Thankyou all who answered, I'll be careful and try each way on a small spot first. Dave I bet you are right and I'm out of luck. Richard :(

• 2 weeks later...
suwanneetrader
Thankyou all who answered, I'll be careful and try each way on a small spot first. Dave I bet you are right and I'm out of luck. Richard :(

Well it did not come out too bad. First I used my old standby for dirt, oil and rust. I made a paste of Oxy-Clean and brushed it hard on the writting with a toothbrush. Let it set uintil dry and then brushed and rinsed off with water. Let the puoch dry, writting was lighter but still there.

Second I used De-Natured alcohol on a Q-tip and just rubbed it on the black marker writting, I waited about 5 minutes and rinsed off with water and let the pouch dry. Writting was gone except the bottom of the $ sign and a smudge where .99 was.

Third This is where I "almost" messed up. I took a toothbrush and dipped in the De-Natured alcohol and brushed the whole section where the writting had been. I waited 3 or 4 minutes and brushed with clean water and let the pouch dry. It had made the greenish-khaki color lighter, I rubbed some coffee grounds on with my fingers and rinsed right off. Then I brushed the Oxy-Clean on again (NONE of the cleaning agents were allowed to touch the U.S.M.C. or Boyt markings).

Here is photo on final results. Richard

Pretty good result. The few times I tried to clean stains off of web gear the results were rather dismal. The color always gets washed out not matter what. I have learned to just let it be.

suwanneetrader

Just wanted to add: That the original before pic is from the seller and pouch was really not that green, so it did not lighten too bad and is about the same shade front and back. I had never used that de-natured alcohol solvent before. It works but is "almost" too strong, I can see how at times it would turn everything back to its undyed state. SO, "BE CAREFUL". Richard

• 8 years later...
suwanneetrader

Looks like in the 8 years and with the Forum update the pics are gone So I looked in my pics and found you a before and after  It Faded like it was used in wet S. Pacific ??  Anyway better than before I think  Richard

Web Pouch USMC back before cleaned  $21..jpg

Web Pouch USMC after cleaned $21..JPG

Web Pouch USMC marked cleaned $21..JPG