ADVICE NEEDED. Civil War document value...

oddmod

Hi.

I received a call a few days ago from a family member of a Civil War veteran. The gentleman wishes to sell a framed copy of his distant relatives post war discharge certificate.

I have yet to see the document, but his description indicates that it includes information about the campaigns the soldier was involved in, as well as reference to the granting of land for service. From what I understand the soldier was a enlisted man or perhaps an NCO from Ohio, and served with a volunteer regiment.

I've already advised the gentleman that in my opinion he should really keep something like this, or pass it along to another family member, but he says he wants to sell it.

I have NO EXPERIENCE in dealing with something like this... I don't usually deal with documents or anything this old.

An eBay search showed a similar document selling for something like $10-20 recently.

So, basically my questions is, what is something like this worth?

If I decide to acquire it, I don't want to over or under pay for it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

JC

Hmmmm....really, it'll depend on a couple of factors. The name is easily researchable thanks to the US Park service database. The discharge will have more information of course, but it is still worth checking, you just never know.

I'm unfamiliar with land grants for CW service. I know they were given for Rev war, French/Indian war, & 1812, but not Civil war. Not saying it wasn't done by any means, just interesting that it would be noted on the discharge certificate.

As far as value goes, I think you nailed it. Far more valuable to the family than to you, unless you have a connection to the unit, or this is your 'thing'.

If the unit is a 'hard fighting' outfit that saw service at famous battles, like Gettysburg, Antietam, etc etc, the value will be considerably more in the great scheme of things.

Depending on the frame, condition of the document, legibility, etc will determine 'final value' for you. Going just by description alone, unless you are a collector of such things, I personally wouldn't give more than 40.00 for it.

Hmmmm....really, it'll depend on a couple of factors. The name is easily researchable thanks to the US Park service database. The discharge will have more information of course, but it is still worth checking, you just never know.

I'm unfamiliar with land grants for CW service. I know they were given for Rev war, French/Indian war, & 1812, but not Civil war. Not saying it wasn't done by any means, just interesting that it would be noted on the discharge certificate.

As far as value goes, I think you nailed it. Far more valuable to the family than to you, unless you have a connection to the unit, or this is your 'thing'.

If the unit is a 'hard fighting' outfit that saw service at famous battles, like Gettysburg, Antietam, etc etc, the value will be considerably more in the great scheme of things.

Depending on the frame, condition of the document, legibility, etc will determine 'final value' for you. Going just by description alone, unless you are a collector of such things, I personally wouldn't give more than 40.00 for it.

Jason G,

Thanks.

I plan to look at this (or possibly these) documents later this week. What he was describing might have actually been several different documents, as at one point he indicated that the discharge papers had images of several Union Generals on it. From what I've seen on Google Images it looks like discharge papers had an image of the Eagle & Flag on them... not Generals.

This will be interesting.

JC

Yeah, it certainly will be interesting to see what you have there. Some of it sounds like 'commemorative' based on your description. Might well be of several different soldiers....