Preserve the grouping or seperate

Chap15

I have this grouping of manuals, regulations, circulars, from a chaplain who was also a Rabbi who worked in the Chief of Chaplains office during WWII.

Do I break up this binder and place the items in acid free binders or leave it like it is. There is every AR, TC, Grave's reg for chaplains.post-1429-1328408484.jpg

Chap,

By the title of your thread, I was thinking you were wondering about selling off "extra" pieces out of a group rather than a question regarding method of storage/ preservation for some documents. (WHEW!)

What I am seeing here is a grouping of papers which would be much more easily examined or shared by putting them into individual page protectors instead of leaving them bound in their current state. If you were to unbind the documents, you could easily have them rebound if you ever decided to do so without damaging the items.

I would heartily encourage to do as you see fit. I see nothing wrong with either method of storage.

Allan

The article has different values and hence different considerations might be addressed. As archival information, i would carefully scan the uncommon documents for permanent preservation. As an artifact, it should be left as found. To break it up permanently is to change the historical aspect of the grouping assembled by the officer. Just my thoughts.

The condition of the collection is good.

Some paper is ok but not falling apart.

I am in the process of getting every reference in this collection.

From a chaplain point of view, there are some hard to find documents.

For others, there are War Department Circulars, Bulletins and AR.

88thcollector

Is there any reason to break up the binder? I don't think a librarian or archivist would recommend disturbing the original order and condition of the booklets. Later generations of researchers may find value in seeing it as the original owner used it rather than just a scattering of loose pages.