WWII US Navy Hammock and Clews

TomcatPC

Hello

Here is a set of WWII US Navy Hammock Clews (did I get that term correct?). Not an action packed item, but they were my Dad's, so thought I'd post a photo.

Thanks

Mark

DSCN2593.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello

I was at my Dad's place Monday and did some digging around. I came across his Navy Hammock from the War. A few years back, I had located the Clews (which have been shared on here already), well now, I have most of the hammock. I had to improvise with the line that holds the clews to the hammock, they are not the real thing, but it is a start. The photo is not the greatest and there are no markings anywhere, not even his name stencils. I have a 1940 Blue Jackets Manual, and under the part that covers marking clothing and kit, I did not see the hammock listed to be stenciled, I saw blankets, sheets, and mattress cover were stenciled, but no hammock.

Thanks

Mark

DSCN2695.jpg

I see yours was complete, and with a Post-War Navy Blanket as well. I have seen a handful of WWII USN Hammocks lurking about, but not too many, are they sort of difficult to find now these days? I'd imagine quite a few ended up being used by a Veteran's children in the backyard in the 1950s-1970s? I know I have heard my Sisters talking about having this strung up in our backyard before I was born. One of those common items that were issued to most everyone in the US Navy during the War, but you don't see them everyday anymore. Anyway, I was glad to have located this.

Mark

Hello

Here is a set of WWII US Navy Hammock Clews (did I get that term correct?). Not an action packed item, but they were my Dad's, so thought I'd post a photo.

Thanks

Mark

DSCN2593.jpgI believe those are actually called "Nettels", "Clews" being the hooks they are secured to. When discussing these, my father, he said that when he finially got to his permenate ship, USS ST. Paul, CA-73, they took his hammock and sent it to the Sail Loft along with all the other hammocks that new guys were bringing aboard, and used them to make canvas covers for assorted things.

Steve Hesson

I have heard the term Nettles before as well. I have a 1940 Blue Jackets Manual that I will look at later to see if it has any more information on hammock details.

Thanks for the link to the other topic on hammocks, I think I saw that topic before? It looks like I was in the right direction with the rope I used to secure the hammock to the "suspension system" (I'll use that term until I find the correct term). That was the only thicker "natural" type line/rope I had lurking about, so I got lucky. How difficult would it be to actually find the correct item?...my gut tells me that the odds are not in my favour LOL.

Mark

Garandomatic

I need to get my hammock situated to use it in the middle of the war room. RIght now it is just the background for my Navy uniforms on stands.

Hello

On page 17 of the The Bluejackets' Manual of 1940, the term "Clews" is used. This page covers laying the Hammock on the deck for inspection, "Throw the clews over the mattress and coil the lashing in the center".

I tried to do some online digging and found very little on the terms used with a US Navy Hammock. The little info. I did find were based on Royal Navy Hammocks...so take it with a grain of salt, but I can't see that the terms are that different, but I could be wrong.

The impression that I got is that the term "Clews" referred to the whole assembly of the steel ring and the lines that are attached to them, whilst the "Nettles" are the actual lines that hang from the Clews and are attached to the canvas. I hope that I got that out all right?, this is where me having dyslexia hinders my ability to describe things in writing. I guess a way to describe it would be to think of the Clews as an octopus and the Nettles as it's tentacles...LOL.

Thanks

Mark

If this link works, it might sort things out, but this is Royal Navy info...it could be totally different from US Navy terms?

http://www.readyayeready.com/navy-life/hammocks.htm

Edit... I think that there is a line that attaches to the steel ring that secures to a bracket or hook on the overhead, this line being called the "Lashings" (I think?). Does anyone have any clues what type, size, length of line/rope to use if I end up doing this as a DIY project? I think the odds of me actually locating a set of WWII Hammock Lashings is nil to say the least.

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...
SS_Yugoslavia_Victory

Hello Everybody,

I signed up for this forum awhile ago but this is my first post. I recently bought a WWII USCG Vet's uniform grouping that included his hammock, complete with original Clevis & ropes. Brief History: My Dad quit highschool at age 17 to enlist in the Navy. He was a WWII Veteran serving in the USNR Armed Guard in the Pacific from January 1944 to May of 1946. I've been interested in WWII history since I was a kid but just started Collecting/Buying/Selling/Trading etc. over the past 12 years. I have seen numerous Jungle Hammocks for sale on ebay and Militaria sites over the years but don't recall ever seeing one of these WWII shipboard models. I was doing a search on them tonight which is what brought me here. I'd planned on posting some pics of mine but have not yet learned how to post pictures so I'll leave that for another time. Hope you all had a good Memorial Day with the folks you care about. Look forward to reading your posts and sharing more once I learn how to navigate the forum.

Best Regards,

Jim