Killed in Action 44 years ago today Khe Sanh

devildog34

Carl Ornelas lived in Kansas City at some point as his mother's address was KS. David D. Duncan, a very famous photographer who had been with the Marines in WWII, Korea and at Con Thien a year before Khe Sanh, came to Khe Sanh to document in photographs the siege. His work culminated in a book about the battle entitled "I Protest." Duncan was also from Kansas City. I don't know how he would have had any contact with Ornelas's mother other than perhaps he had some contact and exchanged addresses with Ornelas while at Khe Sanh. In any respect, Duncan sent a copy of his book signed to Anna Ornelas, Carl's mother. Inside the book he signed the book for her saying "For Anne, This tiny book is only an effort and there is special kind of man remembered here, David"

article cut out about Duncan that came with the group

post-2182-1328408279.jpg

The second book where he scratched notes and instructions regarding handeling of ammo and storing it. The eerie aspect to this second book is that you can tell he had it with him on his person at Khe Sanh. If you talk to anyone who was at Khe Sanh, the one indellible aspect that they will tell you they recall regarding the physical landscape is the near maroon red clay that permeated everything from skin to clothing. If you look at the pages especially the one below, you can see that distinct red clay on these pages.

post-2182-1328409459.jpg

DD,

I certainly appreciate the time you took to put this post together. A fitting tribute to a very young man who gave his life. Good work and well done keeping his memory and sacrifice alive.

M

DD,

I certainly appreciate the time you took to put this post together. A fitting tribute to a very young man who gave his life. Good work and well done keeping his memory and sacrifice alive.

M

I have to ditto what M said!! :thumbsup:

Raidercollector

Kevin

Out Standing group to a brave Marine that fought for our country. Glad you kept his memory alive to share with us. What a Marine to serve our country.

Nick

• 2 months later...