"Act of Valor"

Sabrejet

The guys and I have already scheduled the "man-date" for that night. Beer, wings & Act of Valor on opening night :thumbsup: .

It looks like its going to be awesome.

Same for me, my older brother and I are gonna do some male-bonding and have a "man date"! He's a cop (SWAT, K-9), and I'm active duty Marine, so this is right up our alley. The fact that the producers went with active duty SEALS not just as technical advisors, but as the actors themselves, screams authenticity to me. Hopefully the story isn't too sappy or hokey, but I think it will set a new standard for modern military pictures...

Semper,

Ski

Ah yes, "Full DOD cooperation" always makes for a great film. Just think of such gems as "Firebirds" or "Jet Pilot..." :pinch: :lol:

I’m holding off on this until it hits the screen. I’m sure it’ll be a movie that collectors will love as all the gear will be real, but don’t count on active duty anyone being a good actor. Just keep in mind that SEAL school has never included acting lessons in the curriculum.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched it.... and loved it! Not only a great action flick, but a very nice tribute as well. I do not know much about the modern SEALs and such, but from what I can tell, great on all accounts! knowing that they are real SEALs, makes it even better!!!

Watching the use of the equipment, weapons, and tactics, great!!

Great movie and tribute all in one! Highly recommend it.

I went and saw it with my wife this afternoon. We both really liked it and I'm taking my dad to see it early next week.

Today the February 24th New York Daily News, and the New York Post both panned it, one gave it 1 star while the other gave it 2 stars.

Saw the movie this AM and thought it was GREAT! Yes. I've read some of those reviews & too bad I do NOT agree!

I'm heading to see this movie ASAP. I heard Michael Medved interview the director this afternoon on the radio, and he said after numerous unsuccessful attempts to sell the picture to the studios, they just decided to pull it off themselves. I loved his statement that the picture was tailored for the movie-going public, not the "enlightened" critics and Hollywood crowd. Medved raved about it, and after seeing a clip from it this week, I'm goin' :thumbsup:

CNY Militaria

Seems like many "critics" review a lot of good movies poorly--although they are watching with their "trained" film school oriented eye, when the movies were not made for them but for the general public.

Today the February 24th New York Daily News, and the New York Post both panned it, one gave it 1 star while the other gave it 2 stars.
ALL reviews of this movie are bad, I haven’t found one yet that has anything good to say about the plot or the acting (most even say the professional actors did a terrible job, too). But most said it was neat to watch. That’s pretty much what I had expected. I plan on seeing after coming back from a show tomorrow.

Those of us on the forum are generally more interested in the military aspect of such a movie in regards to the ‘stuff’ being correct and correctly used. We’re generally far more forgiving of a crummy plot if they get all the technical details correct. The public is generally the opposite.

It may be a fun movie to watch, and I am sure it is loaded with the latest gear and gadgets.

But I was taken back by the advertising blitz, which just about screamed "WITH REAL NAVY SEALS".

Okay... I got it the first time. I am sure they leant a feeling of authenticity to the movie. But it was a gross commecialization based on the professionalism of our fighting forces. The Navy SEALS I have known would have walked away from something like this.

I think our forces should get credit for their successes. But with all the hype that has followed some of recent operations, I can't but wonder if there is some discomfort in our special forces who prefer to operate in the shadows.

Saw the movie this AM and thought it was GREAT! Yes. I've read some of those reviews & too bad I do NOT agree!

Those pansies critics never like any thing MACHO anyway :w00t:

On critics most do like this kind of stuff, I mean in 2006 few years ago here in New York they released Khartoum to show it a theater, this was for it's 40th anniversary, Khatoum as you know was a movie about Charles Gordon the famous British Army officer the role as you know being played by the late Great Charlton Heston, in the Daily news at least two critics ripped the movies to shreads, one because they dont like heston as a person and two they disliked that Gordon's Homosexualty ( perhaps Alleged) was never touched on, you see these two pionts where the end all and be all of how they critiqued this 40 year old movie. So like the new Seals movie it may be a over action film, but it most likey is a positive flim on the Seals and their close knit "MALE ONLY" world of Comradeship, and has some elements of Duty and Patiriotism, and here a movie like this will be generaly not liked.

It may be a fun movie to watch, and I am sure it is loaded with the latest gear and gadgets.

But I was taken back by the advertising blitz, which just about screamed "WITH REAL NAVY SEALS".

Okay... I got it the first time. I am sure they leant a feeling of authenticity to the movie. But it was a gross commecialization based on the professionalism of our fighting forces. The Navy SEALS I have known would have walked away from something like this.

I think our forces should get credit for their successes. But with all the hype that has followed some of recent operations, I can't but wonder if there is some discomfort in our special forces who prefer to operate in the shadows.

That's exactly what I thought at first too.

Asked a friend, first how the hell did they get approval for doing it and also why so much publicity was allowed.

Keep in mind this movie was shot roughly 2 years ago when they were active and didn't specify how many still are.

His answer was basically that the community was tired of all the b.s movies out there and the fact that the movie was going to be made anyway they should just do it so its as accurate as possible. As far as the publicity, recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.

And the security risks, he said yeah but no more than what you'd get from all the guys who go on the discovery, history or military channels.

I'm still surprised it's been advertised as much even with what he told me. Still not sure that "I" agree with it but he was o.k. so i guess that's all that matters.

Hope to see it this weekend.

RJ

On critics most do like this kind of stuff, I mean in 2006 few years ago here in New York they released Khartoum to show it a theater, this was for it's 40th anniversary, Khatoum as you know was a movie about Charles Gordon the famous British Army officer the role as you know being played by the late Great Charlton Heston, in the Daily news at least two critics ripped the movies to shreads, one because they dont like heston as a person and two they disliked that Gordon's Homosexualty ( perhaps Alleged) was never touched on, you see these two pionts where the end all and be all of how they critiqued this 40 year old movie. So like the new Seals movie it may be a over action film, but it most likey is a positive flim on the Seals and their close knit "MALE ONLY" world of Comradeship, and has some elements of Duty and Patiriotism, and here a movie like this will be generaly not liked.

A corection on the above LOL. add the word NOT to crtitics do like this kind of stuff, to read On critics most do NOT like this stuff :o

As a follow up this review in the permanent movies reviews in the NY Daily News says, and I quote.

ACT OF VALOR 1 STAR

A ducu-ftion hybridstarring real-life Navy SEALSi a standard action thriller that doesn't need these heroic guys doing what is essentially, a big screen recuitment film. A jihadist and a smuggleraim to use suicide bombers in the U.S., and the SEAL'S risk their lives to stop them. These guys have been to hell and back; they don't need to be in front of the camara too.

This artical touches on the subject of reviews.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/christian-tot...rican-act-valor

Watched yesterday afternoon with squid buddy and went for shots and beer after. Last war movie I saw on the big screen was The Green Berets in '68.

This was the best $7.50 I've spent ion a very long time.

Chunky Monkey
I went and saw it with my wife this afternoon. We both really liked it and I'm taking my dad to see it early next week.

Same here ~ wife and I did a late Valentine movie and dinner date. We enjoyed the movie!!

CNY Militaria

I just returned from it and consider it one of the better movies I have seen in a long time. I am already in the Army and it made me want to join again!