Naval Air Development Unit Patch (NADU)

VP_Association

VP_Association

Here's an extremely rare patch from a little-known Navy R&D command known as the Naval Air Development Unit or "NADU":

post-16247-1328359482.jpg

The original patch is 5 inches top to bottom.

NADU operated from NAS South Weymouth between December 1953 and September 1961. They operated a diverse fleet of HTA aircraft and blimps to provide flight-testing support to PROJECT LINCOLN, which was building the Semi-Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) air defense system that employed a network of sea, air, and land-based radars integrated with computers to direct interceptor jets and guided missiles to defend the country against enemy bombers. NADU was one of the last Navy commands to use blimps.

My good friend John Yaney recently completed a book about NADU. You can check his book out on the "geedunk" page of the ANA Patriot Squadron web site at http://www.anapatriotsquadron.org .

I have this patch in my collection that came from Vern Goffin, the original designer of the insignia. He is mentioned in a posting on VP Navy from a former NADU member. I have his other squadron patches along with his Bluejacket book. Thanks for posting this one. Jeffro

• 10 months later...

I also have a NADU patch. I obtained 2 of them when I was stationed with the squadron from May of 1959 to Aug 1961. I was assigned to PLANNER 1, BUNO 131388 as a radar technician. Our project was the then secret MK-X IFF aircraft identification friend from from foe system.

One day I was working in the shop when the line called for a new IFF for the F-3D that Lt. O'Brien was preparing to fly. I insatlled the equipment, the plane taxied and took off while I headed to the line shack. When I got to the line shack I realized that I had left my flashlight in the hell hole (equipment bay). The plane had to be recalled so that I could retrieve th flashlight.

Needless to say, the pilot was not too happy but I sort of made up for it years later when he, as a Vice Admiral, and I then a CWO-2 attended the same 2 day F-14 Aircraft Provisioning Conference at NAS Oceana. He was wearing a G-1 NAVY Leather Flight Jacket that had just a couple of squadron patches sewed on, not one being a NADU patch. I asked him about the omission and he replied that in some year past his flight jacket had been stolen. The next day I reminded him of the F-3D/NADU incident and presented him with my 2nd NADU patch. ..A smile and a "Thank you."..