Recent trip to Washington D.C.

RDUNE

My wife and I took the train up to D.C. a couple weekends ago and spent a couple days wandering around the museums & monuments. We hadn't been for a couple of years, but not much has changed in the way of exhibits at the museums. I took a ton of pictures and figured I'd share a few.

First is a panorama of the National WWII Memorial. Normally it isnt fenced off, but just about every monument in DC is being worked on at the moment.

wwiipanorama.jpg

By rdune at 2012-02-02

I left a flag at the WWII Memorial with my Grandfathers name & campaigns on it. He always wanted to see the memorial but passed away before we could make the trip.

papaflag2c.jpg

By rdune at 2012-02-02

Next stop was the Korean War Memorial. I left another flag for Cpl. John N. Dickens Jr. who was Killed on Nov 6 1950. I found his dog tags in a junk shop, all but forgotten it seemed.

koreanwar1.jpg

By rdune at 2012-02-02

We went to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial so that I could leave a flag for a MOH recipient, Gary Lee Miller. His Medal is on display at the history museum here in Roanoke. I tried to do a rubbing but it didnt come out too well.

millervietnamwall.jpg

By rdune at 2012-02-02

At the American History Museum I overheard a college student say "what does a one legged bird have to do with war?" He said it as if he thought it was the dumbest thing he'd ever seen. I politely explained the significance of Cher Ami, and his response was "Wow. That is one badass bird".

cherami.jpg

By rdune at 2012-02-02

George Washingtons uniform. If standing inches away from something worn by one of historys greatest men doesnt give you goosebumps, something is very wrong with you.

georgewashingtonsunifor.jpg

By rdune at 2012-02-02

Audie Murphys Ike jacket, dog tag and MOH Citation.

murphyike.jpg

By rdune at 2012-02-02

murphytag.jpg

By rdune at 2012-02-02

murphymoh.jpg

By rdune at 2012-02-02

A piece of Doolittles plane.

doolittlesplane.jpg

By rdune at 2012-02-02

On the way back to the hotel Mrs. Rdune stole the jeep cap that I had just bought at the museum. I couldn't be mad though, she was much cuter in it than I was.

mrsrduneedit.jpg

By rdune at 2012-02-02

• 1 month later...
Collector5516

Thanks for sharing the photos! Any history behind Washington's uniform? When he wore it or how the museum came into possession of it?