Marine Corps reserve

patches

Found this info on actor Barry Corbin

At 21, Barry left the university to join the Marine Corps on a hangover and a friend's dare. "We went in together", says his brother Blaine. "I worried about him. He wasn't the military type at all". Barry spent about two years at Camp Pendleton in California, training South Vietnamese officers.

With no plans to abandon the Lone Star state, Barry joined the Marine Corps Reserve in March 1962. He was initially attached to the 40th Rifle Company at Lubbock, and he entered recruiting as a member of the 3d Recruit Training Battalion, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego. After completing his training in June of that same year he was ordered to N Company, 2d Battalion, 2d Infantry Training Regiment, Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton. He stayed there until he was released from active duty in September.

Barry remained in the Marine Corps Reserve, rejoining the 40th Rifle Company in Lubbock as an assistant Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) man.

He was discharged from the Reserves in August 1963. Barry still maintains that although he never left California, much less saw any action, his Marine Corps training has served him well in both his public and private pursuits.

Anybody know more about this unit 40th Rifle Company ? it's a very interesting subject, was this just an independent unit ? to what parent organztion would it have been assgined, this is the first time I seen this sort of unit in the Marines.

Photos for Barry Corbin, for those who dont know who he is, the one as a Air Force General is for the Movie War Games with Matthew Broderick.

post-34986-1328167668.gif

post-34986-1328167681.jpg

El Bibliotecario

Coinicidentally I watched a bit of "War Games" the other evening, which included captioned Cliff notes--they quoted Corbin as saying joining the Marine corps had not been one of his better ideas.

Coinicidentally I watched a bit of "War Games" the other evening, which included captioned Cliff notes--they quoted Corbin as saying joining the Marine corps had not been one of his better ideas.

Any idea where the 40th Rifle Company fell into the overall Order of Battle of the Marine Corps ?