What are these patches

hawkdriver

I picked up a flight suit this weekend and it has these patches. I know that the left sleeve patch is the 4th Air Force. The right sleeve is the one I can't identify.

2ilxx81.jpg

21berb.jpg

4qct1.jpg

Any idea what these guys did?

Accession Number : ADA166671

Title : Establishing Air Research and Development Command: Two Civilian Scientists Played Key Roles

Descriptive Note : Student rept.

Corporate Author : AIR COMMAND AND STAFF COLL MAXWELL AFB AL

Personal Author(s) : Tubbs, Arthur D.

PDF Url : ADA166671

Report Date : APR 1986

Pagination or Media Count : 36

Abstract : This paper presents a historical review of the establishment of Air Research and Development Command (ARDC) (the original name of Air Force Systems Command). ARDC was established in 1950 as a result of efforts begun in 1944 by General Hap Arnold. General Arnold appointed the noted civilian scientist and personal friend, Dr. Theodore von Karman, to form the Scientific Advisory Group made up of primarily civilian scientists. The group's post World War 2 advisory reports became the benchmark for future Air Force research and development efforts. This group was permanently organized into the Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) in 1946. In 1949 General Hoyt Vandenberg, Air Force Chief of Staff, tasked the SAB to study the Air Force research and development efforts and recommend improvements to the Air Force research and development organization. Dr. von Karman appointed Dr. Louis N. Ridenour to chair the special committee. This committee submitted the results of their study, known as the Ridenour Report, to General Vandenberg in September 1949. The report recommended the establishment of a separate Research and Development Command and a new Air Staff Deputy Chief of Staff for Research and Development. General Vandenberg approved the report's recommendations and established Research and Development Command in early 1950. Dr. Ridenour was appointed the first chief scientist of the Air Force and helped implement the recommendation of his committee's report. There are biographies of von Karman and Ridenour.

Descriptors : *AIR FORCE RESEARCH, *SCIENTISTS, *AIR FORCE SYSTEMS COMMAND, AIR FORCE, HISTORY, BIOGRAPHIES, ADVISORY ACTIVITIES, CIVILIAN PERSONNEL, ORGANIZATIONS

Subject Categories : PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT AND LABOR RELATIONS

Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE

So, this flight suit may be of some historical issue.

If by any chance that legacy 4th AF is in fact contemporaneous with both the suit and the ARDC patch, then heck yes!

Thank you Steve. I read that wrong! From the pics of the upper half I wrongly assumed it was a flight jacket due to its flight jacket-type features!! :pinch: