WWII USMC Shelter Half huge price differences.

uplandmod

A WWII USMC shelter half will be my big buy in March as I'll have some extra cash.

So I started watching the prices on these so I can gauge how much to have on hand when I make the call to my fellow collectors.

Yikes, talk about such a huge gap, I think one person got a brilliant deal and the other one paid way to much!

If I could I wish I could kick ebay's randomness in the teeth!

Leonardo

post-20589-1328113955.jpg

post-20589-1328113972.jpg

You bring up a good question, the only tent I've seen in person is my friends, but it's rolled and I can't see the details. I always assumed that the shelter halves were made of thick canvas material and the Poncho were made of rubberized canvas. I haven't picked up a USMC marked poncho yet (I own a USN marked poncho) but I know the poncho's have those issues of crispy when dried out.

Leonardo

I would vale these at around $250.00 for the "going rate" (JUST MY THOUGHT). I am talking about one with some use, but not abused.

The $67 shelter half was a bargain

I would vale these at around $250.00 for the "going rate" (JUST MY THOUGHT). I am talking about one with some use, but not abused.

Yes, I'm thinking in the $200 range cash I'm going to have on hand when it's time.

LF

I have purchased 3 or 4 over the past 3 years on ebay and have paid between $65 and $225. I have gotten lucky a time or two and paid full boat once.

Ebay can be a volatile market to shop in for sure.

The shelter halfs fluctuate in price quite often.I agree the $150-$250 is the norm but there are ones that will bring more.For instance a bidding war will start if you have a readable or mint lable with the date.I have seen some crazy bidding for dated items.With in the last two years a USMC blanket went over four or five hundred dollars as there was a bidding war because of the lable being dated 1941 0r 1942.

combat-helmets

I agree with this assessment too. And a very interesting thread. I wonder why the fluctuation in prices too sometimes.

I have a weak spot for shelter halves. My Duck hunter pattern shelters are all UNIS marked, and I got them in the $200 or less range.

I know that the 1942 dated ones with tags are a little less scarce as they were the first year issue for the cammo shelter.

the 43-45 dated ones being more common.

Same can be said about the Mitchell Pattern halves. They are not as high on the price fluctuations, but if you can get one with a USMC tag, they are desirable.

Although they can be had in the $100-150.00 with fair regularity.

Interesting thread!

Did someone get lucky for 67.50, or was the other item better ?

They both seemed to be the same to me, in fact the $60 shelter half had a crispy tag but the $400 half had a earlier date but it was worn.

But at least I have an idea what I should have in my pocket when it's time.

Cheers!

Leonardo

I still have that $67 one in my "Watch" list; just unbelievable. I thought it would bring at least $200.00. The high price for the '42 doesn't surprise me, though. I was outbid on a mint one a few years ago, even after bidding $400.00. I snagged the next minty '42 for under $300.00. Auctions are completely unpredictable.

Corpsmancollector
Auctions are completely unpredictable.

I would agree that the above is the reason for the price fluctuation between the two auctions, eBay is a strange place...Someone definitely got a bargain for $67 though! I'd agree with the above assessments that $150-250 is a reasonable price dependent on condition.

Will

General Apathy

post-344-1328181968.jpg

A WWII USMC shelter half will be my big buy in March as I'll have some extra cash.

So I started watching the prices on these so I can gauge how much to have on hand when I make the call to my fellow collectors.

Yikes, talk about such a huge gap, I think one person got a brilliant deal and the other one paid way to much!

If I could I wish I could kick ebay's randomness in the teeth!

Leonardo

Hi uplandmod and everyone else. I closed my store five years ago but prior to that I had complete USMC camo tents for sale, these had come from military storage and were pretty much unused. The attached photo shows the bundles of poles, pins, and rope that came with each tent, note the different hinge system on the poles compared to the sliding tube connector of the army version, and if I recall the metal slide had some coded reference to a marine supply depot.

Aslo note that the ropes are thicker, softer and slightly colored compared to army un-dyed ropes.

lewis

Thanks General Apathy for that picture!

Funny I have a folding tent pole exactly like the USMC pictured with the wood pointy tip and and the channel slide locks , I always assumed that it was a commercial pole.

I now know otherwise!

Leonardo

General Apathy
Thanks General Apathy for that picture!

Funny I have a folding tent pole exactly like the USMC pictured with the wood pointy tip and and the channel slide locks , I always assumed that it was a commercial pole.

I now know otherwise!

Leonardo

Hi Leonardo, I think there is an old thread on the forum here somewhere that forum stalwart Greg Robinson ( Marine-KaBar ), myself and a few others discussed this pattern of poles used by the Marines, I think Greg added information on the marine supply depot markings.

Sadly Greg is deceased, but mentioned above at the top of the forum pages.

lewis

Cool! Thanks for the links. I had read the post about the poles some time back, thanks for reminding me about it. Mr. Robinson was a great resource and asset to the forum-and since I'm on the topic, so was Bilko. In fact, most of the forums most thorough reference threads are not much more than Greg and Bilko chatting back in forth! A couple of walking talking encyclopedias in their fields. May they Rest In Piece. Sorry to hijack the thread by talking about poles! I'll add that I recently picked up one of these dated 1943 from a friend. He sold the other on Ebay for quite a bit, and I'm glad I jumped on mine when I did. Unbelievable prices on these recently!