usmc camo helmet studio portrait?

bloodchitman

i am here in search of studio portrait of usmc soldier in camo helmet. I had tried searching on the internet and the forum here, and it seems it is rarely seen. are this type of studio portraits rare? Thanks for any advice.

i am here in search of studio portrait of usmc soldier in camo helmet. I had tried searching on the internet and the forum here, and it seems it is rarely seen. are this type of studio portraits rare? Thanks for any advice.

Starting in the 1950s, Marines, on starting, or in between, or nearing completion their secondory training had their portraits taking with utilities and Steel helmet with cover, this was done as long as the M1 helmet was used going in the the early 80s, the Army infantry did the same thing starting sometime in the 1960s. here is an example of a Marine, the photos of similar Marines in portraits with Steel Helmet and Camo Cover can be regreably found in large numbers on the Virtual wall site for vietnam war dead, on the faces of valour, the chin straps in these photos and ones one might find from the 50s show them being buckled in the traditional manner of the Marine, or unbuckled with the chin straps hanging down.

Here one Marine from the 1950s.

post-34986-1328076213.jpg

Thanks for your valuable information. was there any ww2 period picture taken examples? I have an example below, could the period be dated? Thank you.

post-52127-1328079545.jpg

Starting in the 1950s, Marines, on starting, or in between, or nearing completion their secondory training had their portraits taking with utilities and Steel helmet with cover, this was done as long as the M1 helmet was used going in the the early 80s, the Army infantry did the same thing starting sometime in the 1960s. here is an example of a Marine, the photos of similar Marines in portraits with Steel Helmet and Camo Cover can be regreably found in large numbers on the Virtual wall site for vietnam war dead, on the faces of valour, the chin straps in these photos and ones one might find from the 50s show them being buckled in the traditional manner of the Marine, or unbuckled with the chin straps hanging down.

Thanks for your valuable information. was there any ww2 period picture taken examples? I have an example below, could the period be dated? Thank you.

post-52127-1328079545.jpg

The cover is a dead give away. This will be from the Vietnam War or a little after the war, any time from 1962 till around 1976, after 1976 Marines began to wear those Camouflage uniforms which this one does not, you will note the Leaf or Mitchell pattern helmet cover,this cover contiuned to be worn by the Marines till the mid 70s, while the older mitchell pattern could be seen still, the new Woodland cover would be the type of helmet cover seen in the late 70s early 80s in these kind of portraits, this photo you posted, which I feel was taken in the 60s, is typical of those I talked about, the ones from the 50s to early 60s would see the Marine wearing the WWII type cover, you will note the differant pattern covers between the one I posted and the one you posted, the one I posted is of Lee Harvey Oswald in the the late 50s, 1957 I think, ( I carry that photo of him around in my wallet, LOL ) see how the old WWII pattern helmet cover is still being used.

As far as WWII, post WWII I believe that might find studio photograph portraits of Marines sitting for the camera with their helmets on, but as far as I know if you do find one they will not be an official one, but done rather on the individuals own intiative, with him going to a civilian photographers studio or perhaps to maybe that set up shop on a base somewhere.

Do outdoor photos count where company size photos were taken by a professional photographer? I have one of a group of armed, helmeted Marines taken in 1950 where they are standing on bleachers. Taken right before they shipped out to Korea.

Kim

Really? Lee Harvey Oswald

Hmmm. Looks like the shirt is buttoned properly as noted by the lapels.

Mike

The VN marine pic is also reversed...note the helmet chinstraps. (Just sayin'! ;) )

Here one, a official portrait of the Actor Barry Corbin, circa 1962, while not a WWII one, it is an interesting study of the Steel pot with an older Liner, it being either the WWII liner or the newer 1957 type, note the wear at this time the new Leaf camo cover, as well as the contiuned wear of the liner's leather chinstrap in the old familar way.

post-34986-1328168678.jpg

Is that Lee Harvey Oswald?

YES. I only put his photo up because I knew that one of his photos, one will constantly see in the whole Kennedy saga, is one of Oswald take in this trainging type portrait with Steel Pot and cover. AREN'T you going to a me, If I believe Oswald did it, or was it others ? :w00t:

carbinephalen

Urgg! I was hoping nobody would notice the Oswald thing but me!

Good eye everybody...We're not just WWII Buffs....But History Buffs as well

Here are a few others that may be slightly more recognizable!

post-14217-1328251861.jpg

post-14217-1328251870.jpg

Urgg! I was hoping nobody would notice the Oswald thing but me!

Good eye everybody...We're not just WWII Buffs....But History Buffs as well

Here are a few others that may be slightly more recognizable!

I knew that was Lee Harvey, as I mentioned I knew he had this type of photo with the Steel Helmet and cover, so I found it and posted it.

• 9 years later...