Chester Burger Patch Collection

36-tex

vostoktrading

GASP!

Thanks Tex, very nice video. I wish they showed all his stuff instead of just a few here and there. Must be some killer stuff in there!

I like the green haired lab tech girl. Must have been to honor us greenback patch collectors!

Jon.

I think this has been shown on here before, but it was good to see it again.

It makes me wonder why they kept the collection attached to the original pages. I suppose they view this as part of the history, but I think most of us would have moved them onto acid free paper.

It's kind of neat how they reconstructed the cardboard sections...and I will leave it there so as not to spoil the surprise for those viewing.

The ASMIC article was written by Dave Kaufman in the July-Sept. 2009 "Trading Post".

P.S. Dave, do you have other pictures of the collection that were not included in the TP article?

A few years ago I acquired about 250 patches that had been collected by a WWII MP who spent the war riding on troop trains. Lots of nice variations and it filled a lot of holes in my collection. And the best thing was that there was no doubt as to whether they were real or not. It was also interesting in that he had labeled each one by pinning on a piece of an old airplane trading card!

gliderrider401

Now that's a patch collection. :w00t:

Even better that it came from a member of the Greatest Generation!!!

Rich

Neat story. Something I noticed is the VMSB 413 patch he had in his collection. "Experts" have gone around and around about the authenticity of the US embroidered on felt version of this patch and have labelled it as "made for collectors". It would be nice to hear Chester Burger's story about how he obtained his example. Sometimes museums will post photos of the items in their collections under the research tabs on their websites. Let's hope the NYPL will do that with this collection. Jeffro

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I have been in contact with the New York Public Library concerning the photo documentation of this collection in their holdings. They informed me there is NO current plans to photograph this collection for web viewing. They, of course, will take pictures for me for a fee (no cheap!).

Sooooo, if there are any members who can get to the collection and take pictures it would be GREAT for all of us "rag" pickers.