WWII or Post WWII or Experimental Buckle boots ?

JYN

Hello,

I have this pair of boots for a while and I was wondering if there is any chance that they are from WWII.

Soles have been changed. Inside the shoe, apart from the size marking there is USA N°0347.

Buckles parts are both different.

Any idea ?

JYN

post-6145-1328034531.jpg

post-6145-1328034545.jpg

Appears to me that someone added the tops to a set of 3/4 (short)boots.Not uncommon to see this done.I have an early set of buckle boots with capped toe.

The prototype buckle-boots had toe-caps, but were rough-outs. These appear to be chromed leather service shoes with the buckle sections added on retrospectively, as Ron says. Doesn't make them "bad" boots...I like them...they tell a story!

Adding the "new" cuffs to "old" shoes was very common, and was accomplished by QM clothing repair units in the COMZ as well as in Stateside garrisons. QM even stocked and issued the cuffs, for this purpose.

My bro-in-law was in a Signal unit in Bad Tolz in 1953-55 and they had capped-toe service shoes, with buckle cuffs added, in brown, with a high shine, as their usual garrison wear. Rough-out buckle boots were for field wear only.

In probably 1955 (in anticipation of the Army Green 44 uniforms coming in) all their leather was re-dyed black. The individual GIs re-dyed their own boots (after burning off the highly prized shiney brown) AND were sent as labor to the warehouses to burn and re-dye unissued ones in an assembly line.

BTW they also were converting to the new AG44 and golden yellow chevrons, put up on OD Ike jackets. But the AG44 clothing was "delayed", past when he got out.

Thank all for all details and infos related to your brother. So , we can affirm that it was a common practice until 1955 ?

Jean-Yves