AN6530 Rubber Facepad

01din

I have read the different opinions on preserving antique rubber items - with Age-Master No.1 Rubber Protectant, Armor-All, talcum power, even doing nothing - but was curious what the flightgear collectors have used on AN6530 goggle facepads. They're made of the heavier rubber that wasnt used on gas and oxygen masks of the day, but the several I have are stiff but not yet deteriorating.

What are my options to preserve them? I very carefully use Pecard Antique on my leather items, but know they don't even recommend any leather treatments.

Thanks again.

Number one thing to do, especailly if they are in good condition now is keep them cool & dry & out of light & UV. Once rubber is cracked & brittle its done. Keep dirt & dust off as well--they can act as abrasives. I'll use Armor All or equivalent & apply a liberal coat, let it sit for and hour or two the thoroughly but gently buff it. Acts to seal the surface to a degree.

I've restored a couple ot pairs of AN6530's and have used 600 grit wet sand paper to freshen the surface and remove stains/damage then treated the surface with a protectant. These were moderately crazed pads that were still flexible though. The pair in my collection went through this process 15 years ago and look great and have stayed flexible. They've been stored under the above conditions. YMMV & HTH

Tim

Cobrahistorian

I'll second the Armor-All. I've used it with some degree of success. My 6530s are goo right now, but I got them that way. I'm hoping to get a new pad for them. Like Tim said, once they've started cracking, they're toast.

Jon

I heard never use Armor All! Once you use AA, you will find tha after a while, they will deteriorate. I have had mine for years and never put anything on them and they are just fine. The key is protecting form light. Best thing is put nothing on them. If they have already started to deterioate, there is nothing you can do for them other than handled them as little as possible. Rember, these items were never designed to last 70 plus years. Ron

Cobrahistorian

The problem with Armor All is you have to keep applying it over time. Protection from UV is really the biggest issue. Armor All protects against that to an extent, but like I said, it breaks down over time and you have to keep applying it. I've got an A-14 that is in great shape because it's stored in the dark. It comes out for one or two display events a year and that's it.

Jon

Thanks for the replies. The 6530 facepad isn't deteriorating yet, but is likely less flexible than it originally was - and while it's currently stored in a cool, dark, and even humidity controlled space, I'd like to display them and bring them back into the real world. I'm nervous about AA, based on what I've seen with cars - that it requires constant re-application, and its off-gasses are destructive.

I guess I'm realizing that for those of us who do use products to maintain our collections, there isnt one magic pill for rubber (like Pecard for leather)....

Thanks -

FWIW here is what C.G. Sweeting from NASM recommended back in 1984 in Comabt Flying Clothing, Appendix G p. 141:

post-10420-1327977356.jpg

This may not still be state of the art so YMMV.

TT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One problem with Armorall, is that it off gasses something that will coat everything exposed to it. This may not be a problem except in the interior of an automobile, where is will cause the inside of the windshield and windows to become cloudy. The sticky film that settles on the glass is very difficult to remove. For this reason, I would not use it around anything of importance.

Best

Gus