Kutmaster Utica N.Y. USA

Eagleman3

Hello all,

I'm in need of help to idenify this knife that I just picked up. I know just enough about them to be dangerous!

It looks like a M-1 Garrand cut down thats been filled and altered. But you can't tell thats its been filled by looking at it, plus its chrome. And I think I've been told that if it has USA stamped, that its a after market piece? Please does someone have any ideas of what this knife could be? Or is it just what it says Any information will be very helpful. Thank alot, ED

post-54063-1327793677.jpg

post-54063-1327793729.jpg

post-54063-1327793699.jpg

Charlie Flick

Eagleman:

You are correct in your supposition that this blade is a cut down M1 bayonet. Utica was the maker. Kutmaster was a commercial brand name that Utica used for its civilian knives. This was likely a rejected bayonet that was cut down and turned into something useful by Utica and sold on the commercial market as a sport sheath knife. These knives came in several minor variations such as spear point or bowie point as is your example.

HTH.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

It is my recollection that Utica Cutlery assembled knives like these, and marking them with their "Kutmaster" civilian branding, using leftover parts, post-War.

That is the reason that most do not have any of the lug mechanism/mill cuts/barrel band for attachment, as would the M1 bayonet.

While yours does appear to have the milled-lug-cut welded, most that I have seen, did not apparently have them machined in, to begin with.

IIRC, these were cut down to 8" blade length for appeal as a hunting knife.

If they were indeed made from rejected M1 blades, it would also seem likely that this would have been done from 'a bin of them', post-War, as well; due to their War-time production commitments, and the then still-precious nature of blade-steel.

Regards,

Don.