The Jet Pilots Survival Knife

gunbarrel

Owner mod for carry on a web belt; hanger up top and added “loop” on the bottom for a tie-down thong. Perhaps a local vendor mod near a military base? I dyed my first one black also as a young Infantry Lieutenant in the mid-80s. 

I agree with Arisaka99.  It was "normal" in the USAF in Europe in the 1980s to dye the sheaths black, as that was more consistent with the subdued uniforms we wore then.  Of course, some of the guys in my EOD Flight bought commercial Gerbers which came in black sheaths from the BX at RAF Upper Heyford.

MarkMcM,

First welcome aboard.  You mentioned that your knife is blade marked, I'm wondering if the stamp looks like this one in the picture.

2064528865_CamillusJPSKpostContracttangstamp.jpg.5269afc999ab8625f3a583a262cade53.jpg

While it is true that the government specification for the pilots knife sheath was changed in the 60's to include a metal tip protector at the bottom of the sheath, IMHO, I don't think your sheath is Vietnam vintage. 

Camillus did switch over to the updated sheath for their Government contract knives, and continued to supply their pilots knives for commercial sales with the earlier style sheath.

To complicate maters further at different times Camillus offered civilians the option of buying their knife with the new style sheath for a slight premium.

On the subject of dying leather items black, the practice goes back at least to just after WW2, and perhaps longer than that.

The sheath modification to take the M1910 hook looks pretty good.

hello all,

just came across this quite interesting topic so full of great infos. I'd like exploiting it by asking for details about a knife I long do own, minus the sheath   -   absolutely no markings at all, on the pommel or blade, or even the handguard. Looks to be 'old' (?) and an even patina/oxydation is present on the whole pommel and handguard.  As said, no markings anywhere  -   not even extremely faint.

Finish on handle relatively rough, not the one smooth and glossy with a decidedly deep reddish color. Please any thoughts?  Thanx in advance!!

20220926_231457.jpg.30c135b112f112f221e6da89efc632aa.jpg

20220926_231538.jpg.723d41466b09dfca9254b33900debd15.jpg

On 9/26/2022 at 2:24 PM, MarkMcM said:

Thanks for the feedback, guys!  Blade marked as follows:

C8B4C95A-AA16-445F-95A4-6E1B6A967C32.jpeg

Thanks Mark,  The blade, 5 inches and that stamp definitely put it in the Vietnam time frame of the early 60's thru 1966.  So that sheath would be of the type the knife would have originally been issued with.  As far as the black dyed leather goods go in the U.S. military as you can tell from some of the other posts this happened off and on for decades here.

Most of the time it was something limited to individual groups or even commands. You will run across both natural finish and redid black when it comes to the pilot knife sheaths.

So far I haven't run across any examples of knives from manufactures shipped to Government supply already dyed black.

BlueBookGuy,

Your knife looks like a U.S. Government model made by one of the contracted manufactures.  With that said highly unusual for that knife to be ,(sterile), unmarked.

Most of the commercial, overseas, aftermarket, knives won't have the two steel washers on the hilt.  One by the guard and one by the pommel.  The one exception that comes to mind for a knife from the Vietnam time frame is the Milpar blade marked pilots knife with the normal leather washer handle. Those don't have the washers. There are some who have believed the Milpar's were an aftermarket knife sold by the government exchange services. Regardless your knife doesn't have the distinctive pommel of the Milpar.

Maybe someone else may see a clue or two that will help narrow it down.

On 9/28/2022 at 1:27 AM, sactroop said:

BlueBookGuy,

Your knife looks like a U.S. Government model made by one of the contracted manufactures.  With that said highly unusual for that knife to be ,(sterile), unmarked.

Most of the commercial, overseas, aftermarket, knives won't have the two steel washers on the hilt.  One by the guard and one by the pommel.  The one exception that comes to mind for a knife from the Vietnam time frame is the Milpar blade marked pilots knife with the normal leather washer handle. Those don't have the washers. There are some who have believed the Milpar's were an aftermarket knife sold by the government exchange services. Regardless your knife doesn't have the distinctive pommel of the Milpar.

Maybe someone else may see a clue or two that will help narrow it down.

Sorry for my late reply,

thanx very much for the explaination  -   for the moment I'm not going to put it on a Vietnam-timeframed character. A nice knife though, I'll keep it.

Thanx again.

Hello everyone! Does anyone know more about the knife in my attachment? It was my grandfather's who passed away a long time ago. It's a survival knife with a hollow handle with a screw on compass. 

20221002_140232.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Jalbers7, your Grandfather’s knife appears to be one of those modeled on or in the style of a Gil Hibben knife that he made for the Sylvester Stallone “First Blood” movie that came out in 1982. This style with the hollow handle and raised serrations on the back of the blade became pretty common in that era. Usually didn’t have a compass, though; unlike yours. 

Not usually a lot of collector value, but as a family heirloom I’m sure it is priceless to you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked one of these handy blades up (bought new from Amazon) for an “all around” use, and it’s definitely become by far one of my favorites especially while camping and/or other outdoor adventures. I’m looking to possibly “add” one for display/collecting. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 1:24 PM, opseccc said:

Camillus. Left to Right:  6", 62-66, & 1974.  

IMG_0639D.JPG

That camo sheath is wild, never saw one of those before.  Whats the story on those?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2013 at 8:06 PM, 1SG_1st_Cav said:

I just added this knife to my meager collection. It is an EXPLORER WILDERNESS, 440 Stainless MODEL 21-049 JAPAN U.S. Pat Pend, made in the 1980s.

It has a 6" blade and a well made leather sheath. This is a solid well-made knife and I'm glad to have it in my collection. Enjoy! Danny

post-1691-0-82445900-1379376353.jpg

Here is a view with the knife in it's sheath. Danny

post-1691-0-59918100-1379376443.jpg

Danny, do you know for sure that this sheath is original to the knife? I have an identical example paired up with an earlier pilot's knife and so far your knife is the only Explorer Wilderness knife I've found online with this type sheath. If I had to guess I'd say it was theater-made in Asia, but again it's merely a guess.

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2022 at 7:59 PM, mohawkALSE said:

That camo sheath is wild, never saw one of those before.  Whats the story on those?

Saw this 1979 JPSK  with orig? camo sheath on the net today. The leather tip complements the handle. 

s-l1600.jpg

Camillus continued supplying the JPSK's sold to the civilian market with the earlier style sheath w/o the metal tip guard after the contract knives changed to the new spec and did so up to the closing of the original factory/company.  IMHO, I think both examples of the camo sheath are commercial examples.  Although AAFES contracts for JPSK's sold in PX/BX's might have included such types. (???)

Agree Sactroop. Having spent many hours flying in  P-3 Orions I never saw an issued JPK blade like that in camo. IMHO. 

I apologize for the long delay in the response for information on the camo sheath.  I thought I had saved a picture of the 1974 Camillus catalog or flyer page that advertised the sheath.  In my collection record, I do not keep information that I can not cite, and I remember adding the date when I had seen the catalog information.  The pic may be on my older laptop, so I will keep digging.    

The leather tip on VNAMVET70's camo sheath is not original.  It is a nice addition, and I agree it compliments the leather handle.   

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this (back) up today.

I had originally sold this to a friend 20 years ago before I really knew anything about it. 

He sold it back to me today.

Enjoy.

IMG_20230321_164726754.jpg

IMG_20230321_164741549.jpg

IMG_20230321_164754353.jpg

IMG_20230321_164908612.jpg

I don't know if it makes a difference but the guard is magnetic.

From what I've read I'm pretty sure this is an early 1960's knife sold in PX after Marbles lost the gov't. contract.