The Jet Pilots Survival Knife

gunbarrel

ka bar,

Your kind words are much appreciated--thank you! I enjoyed doing it and would like to do more, but I haven't had the time in the past few months. BTW, love those Australian and New Zealand WWII blades!

1SG_1st_Cav

Okay, lets put this puppy to bed. For comparison, here is a close-up of my 1-1967 Camillus. And yes it has the gray paint on top of the pommel.

post-1691-0-30427800-1405124267.jpg

• 1 month later...

can any one fig this one out..... no japan no Camillus all it saying is top looks like a parachute i have also a carlos hathcock knife

swelhh.jpg

2cwsufc.jpg

ape2l1.jpg

2hh0od2.jpg

2dlp2tz.jpg

Can't help you with the knife but the sheath looks correct for an early 70's Government issue type. The knife does not.

It looks like some of the Japanese Pilot Survival knifes I've had in the past. And the sheath looks like a typical post 1970s US made sheath

could this be a fake??

I would classify it more like a copy, or a replica. As a collector, when I think of a fake, I think of something made to deceive...to pass it for the real thing.

Like the guys already stated, the sheath appears legitimate, while the knife appears to be a Japanese, or a non-communist Chinese replica.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great thread!

New guy here...I cannot upload a pic as it states "too big" (if someone can help, please PM me)...

I'm having trouble ID'ing the following...

CAMILLUS, NY marked on blade...no date on pommel nut (pinned not peened)....metal finish is all a matte-silver (not shiny like a chromed #1010)...typical sheath but with polished snap/rivets (stitched with brown thread). Smooth varnished handle (just like a #1010 Astronaut) AND a non-fullered blade like those found on commemoratives.

Any ideas???

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
Hi Guys

A recent addition to my Australian Military Knives collection is another JPK.

This time by Camillus.

This knife was issued to an Australian Soldier in 1990. It has his name marked on it. It still has the factory bag it came in. It doesn't look like it was ever used much.

So I now know that the JPK's by both Ontario and Camillus were issued to the Australian Military.

post-12041-0-70735000-1423714173.jpg

post-12041-0-44419200-1423714189.jpg

Regards Dutchy

Dutchy, I can't be certain but 3-1985 is the most recent dated Camillus pommel I've been able to run across so far. Including yours it puts my observed total to five. Still looking though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'd like to share my nicest JPK a sweet early 60s blackened knife and sheath

post-154628-0-15881500-1425187672.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just picked up a 5" JPK. Blued blade and scre on pommel. Marked on one side of blade "MM-10-74" over "JAPAN". Issue or puchase? Anyone help? THanks.

Japan made copies of the JPK. They are also made by China and you can buy them for about $10. They are OK to throw in your tackle box.

Japan made copies of the JPK. They are also made by China and you can buy them for about $10. They are OK to throw in your tackle box.

Thank you.
  • 3 weeks later...

All the Camillus knives in this thread seem to have a 6" blade. However, I have recently seen the same type with a longer blade. Has anyone seen one of these? Are they rare?

The late 1950s to early 1960's were mostly the 6" bladed survival knives. Everything I've seen that were made after 1962 were 5" blades.

I'm sure our resident experts will jump in on this conversation. BTW, I have two survival knives with no dates that have 6" blades.

Happy New Year!

The late 1950s to early 1960's were mostly the 6" bladed survival knives. Everything I've seen that were made after 1962 were 5" blades.

I'm sure our resident experts will jump in on this conversation. BTW, I have two survival knives with no dates that have 6" blades.

Thanks for the clarification on the blade length, I wasn't sure as I don't have one in my possession to refer to.

What is the value on a six inch blade. I have an opportunity to buy one, but would like a ball park figure to go by.

Stony: Condition is everything.

A: Is the blade & the grip in good condition?

B: Does it have the original sheath?

C: Is the sheath in good condition?

D: If yes to all of the above, then it would be in the $70 to $100 range.

If not, you need to subtract from the price depending upon the number of negatives.

If you can, send a picture of the knife and sheath and we'll see what feedback the experts can provide.

Good Luck! Danny

No sheath, it's part of a survival vest along with the parachute knife made by Camillus. The vest is not marked and is probably theater made or modified.

• 2 months later...

post-162235-0-00780200-1457590154.jpg New guy here, was issued this knife while in the army. Ontario 9-87 pommel date. there was a big box of these in our unit supply room. they were issued to you if you ask for one. the old supply sergeant we had called them deployment knives. nothing rare or fancy about it but it was G.I. Issue. never used it much as i always had my trusty M7 just thought i would post it. Thanks, Cav.

• 11 months later...