The Jet Pilots Survival Knife

gunbarrel

Thanks. Great photos and information.

As an Army grunt Platoon Leader, I carried and used my JPK everyday. Unfortunately I made a big mistake with "my" knife. About 2 months before coming back to the world I traded "my" knife into supply for a new one. I still have the new knife, but it's not the same as "my" knife. The new knife and sheath just doesn't have the same feel and look. The lesson for me and collecting is that better condition is not always the best representation of a military tool.

Ken

Ken,

Glad you enjoyed the topic. I agree with you on the "new" vs. "been there" aspect of collecting, as long as the "been there" is not too beat up ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, and Merry Christmas/Happy New Year to all.

I just picked up a JPK with MMB markings on it and am seeking a bit of info on it.

There's one brief mention of the maker in this thread, but I hoped to learn more.

Anyone got one?

Thanks,

Jim

post-60452-0-78583100-1388800155.jpg

Well... I just used Google to search this forum for "MMB" and got lots of info. At first, I tried the USMF search that failed because it apparently doesn't like searches of just 3 letters, but then I thought of Google which did it just fine. Interesting stuff, and now I have the info I need. Thanks anyway. Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I ran across this photo in my collection and I realized I had not posted it. It's one of my favorite military photos. General George P. Seneff with a 6" JPK in a custom-made sheath. You don't see Generals nowadays carrying knives.

attachicon.gifGeneral_..._front_A.JPG

GB,

Was doing some basic research before selling my Utica JPK, and came across your photo. In 1972 I was an MP Company Commander in Fort Hood, Tx. LTG (he had his 3rd star by then), Seneff was the Corp Commander and decided to pull a surprise barracks inspection of my company. Surprise is the operative word as you can imagine the look on my face when his jeep with 3 red stars pulled unannounced into my company dirt parking lot. Fortunately I had just had my own inspection, so all turned out well. He even had the engineers pave my parking lot. I had totally forgotten him until now, but I figure with my story and your picture, I can claim he gave me his knife (just kidding).

:)

Pics attached.

post-8804-0-12527200-1389564054.jpg

post-8804-0-56671100-1389564065.jpg

Regards,

Cliff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This is from a recent auction on you probably know where.

post-17422-0-65088400-1405027578.jpg

What caught my I about this Camillus Jet Pilots knife is the date on the pommel. I was of the understanding that Camillus lost their Government contract for the JPSK around 1984 and that for a short time they continued to manufacture the knifes with date stamped pommels for a few months afterwards, I assumed it was while they used up existing stock of stamped pommels. Until this auction listing the latest dated pommel Camillus JPSK I recall seeing were a couple of different knives that were stamped, (3-1985). Camillus changed the stamping from the pommel back to blade stamped with a new style.

For now this is a curiosity for me that also seems to have another anomaly. The paint seal on the end of the pommel is of the earlier grey color. The color used for this seal was changed to black years before 1987.

post-17422-0-92528500-1405027773.jpg

I really don't have the ability to post an enlarged example of the first photo I posted above. I can zoom in on the image at home. When I look closely at the enlarged date it does seem possible that the (6) is distorted by two small spots of corrosion that could be creating the effect of some slight shadowing. At this point I'm more willing to consider that despite what my eyes want to tell me this maybe an earlier knife.

Thanks GB.

Take a look at post #34 on this thread. There Salvage Sailor posted a JPSK of his that he says is 5-1967. That picture at first glance looks like an 8 instead of a six also, (at least to me). That pommel also has a fair amount of corrosion present. I know the picture I posted seems to have more detail but I just can't make myself comfortable with the grey pommel paint too.

I know if I stare at the night sky long enough I can start seeing UFO's too. :)

ka bar,

Your kind words are much appreciated--thank you! I enjoyed doing it and would like to do more, but I haven't had the time in the past few months. BTW, love those Australian and New Zealand WWII blades!

1SG_1st_Cav

Okay, lets put this puppy to bed. For comparison, here is a close-up of my 1-1967 Camillus. And yes it has the gray paint on top of the pommel.

post-1691-0-30427800-1405124267.jpg

• 1 month later...

can any one fig this one out..... no japan no Camillus all it saying is top looks like a parachute i have also a carlos hathcock knife

swelhh.jpg

2cwsufc.jpg

ape2l1.jpg

2hh0od2.jpg

2dlp2tz.jpg

could this be a fake??

I would classify it more like a copy, or a replica. As a collector, when I think of a fake, I think of something made to deceive...to pass it for the real thing.

Like the guys already stated, the sheath appears legitimate, while the knife appears to be a Japanese, or a non-communist Chinese replica.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great thread!

New guy here...I cannot upload a pic as it states "too big" (if someone can help, please PM me)...

I'm having trouble ID'ing the following...

CAMILLUS, NY marked on blade...no date on pommel nut (pinned not peened)....metal finish is all a matte-silver (not shiny like a chromed #1010)...typical sheath but with polished snap/rivets (stitched with brown thread). Smooth varnished handle (just like a #1010 Astronaut) AND a non-fullered blade like those found on commemoratives.

Any ideas???

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
Hi Guys

A recent addition to my Australian Military Knives collection is another JPK.

This time by Camillus.

This knife was issued to an Australian Soldier in 1990. It has his name marked on it. It still has the factory bag it came in. It doesn't look like it was ever used much.

So I now know that the JPK's by both Ontario and Camillus were issued to the Australian Military.

post-12041-0-70735000-1423714173.jpg

post-12041-0-44419200-1423714189.jpg

Regards Dutchy

Dutchy, I can't be certain but 3-1985 is the most recent dated Camillus pommel I've been able to run across so far. Including yours it puts my observed total to five. Still looking though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...