US Navy Group

manayunkman

Going over to the house on Friday to see the widow. Found out last night that she was only married to the vet for less than one year right before he died and is much younger than him. The whole thing is a 3 ring circus. What I go through sometimes to get stuff.

interesting you mention the little rock.my wife and i were at a round table last night,jan 31st,the speaker was norman brant who served on the little rock late in ww11.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice grouping you have there !! Interested in what else turns up !!

Thanks for showing!!

Vic

BTW => Tug duty was no safe duty station. I have a posthumous WWII Navy PH to an officer serving aboard a tug that was sunk off Normandy on D-Day+5 by German E-Boats...obviously this sailor was "in harm's way" !!

Did his 30 years and retired before Vietnam. I wonder how he felt about that.....maybe thought he missed out?? :think:

Very nice little group! I like the ones with 1930's GCM's in them.

I bet with WWII and Korea under his belt he didnt feel too bad about missing Vietnam.

Kurt

Thanks for showing!!

Vic

BTW => Tug duty was no safe duty station. I have a posthumous WWII Navy PH to an officer serving aboard a tug that was sunk off Normandy on D-Day+5 by German E-Boats...obviously this sailor was "in harm's way" !!

Thanks for pointing that out Vic

M

I haven't been able to get to see the widow again. There are a lot of family problems and plain crazy stuff going on. I have a chance to get his photo album from the 1930's with photos of the Texas. It's 110.00. Should I ??

I haven't been able to get to see the widow again. There are a lot of family problems and plain crazy stuff going on. I have a chance to get his photo album from the 1930's with photos of the Texas. It's 110.00. Should I ??

For the sake of the group, it might be worth it. However, I'd want to see it have at least 100 military-related photos with good content for that price. Unless it's chock-full of photos, that's high retail for the album... (I've been selling WW1 Navy albums with good content and 100-200 photos for $80-$150 each and WW2 albums with similar photos for $50-$80 each. 1930s albums are not as valuable as wartime ones unless there's some really good content of the photos...)

Dave

For the sake of the group, it might be worth it. However, I'd want to see it have at least 100 military-related photos with good content for that price. Unless it's chock-full of photos, that's high retail for the album... (I've been selling WW1 Navy albums with good content and 100-200 photos for $80-$150 each and WW2 albums with similar photos for $50-$80 each. 1930s albums are not as valuable as wartime ones unless there's some really good content of the photos...)

Dave

I would say that there are about 10 photos with ships and at least 4 of these are of the USS Texas. Then there are the usual cross the equator ceremony and the rest are tourist type stuff. It comes in a photo album with the battleship Missouri painted on the cover.

M

I would say that there are about 10 photos with ships and at least 4 of these are of the USS Texas. Then there are the usual cross the equator ceremony and the rest are tourist type stuff. It comes in a photo album with the battleship Missouri painted on the cover.

M

Yup, I'd pass on it unless you really wanted to keep the group together.

Dave

Well I went to see the widow and it was a disaster. She is 40 years younger than her husband and is kind of a hippie. Only married for less than a year. She is a piece of work. Intoxicated at 11am. We found nothing.

Someone else has the photo album and wants 110.00 for it. 100 is a bit much but what is the 10.00 for ?? He knows i have the rest of the group but I agree with you Dave. It's too much. I'll wait him out.

The photo of the USS Hidatsa was taken during or immediately after WW2. Between 1946 and 1950, all of the ATFs had their 20mm and 40mm guns removed, leaving only the 3-inch-50 on the 01 deck, forward of the bridge.

Thanks for showing!!

Vic

Interesting. I served on an ATF (USS Luiseno, ATF-156) in the early '60s. I remember going to General Quarters about 0200 one night off the cost of Cuba. We were patrolling near the mouth of Gitmo Bay, and were approached by several Cuban torpedo boats that were running without lights. For some reason our gunners were unable to load our 3-inch-50 gun. The breach-block was jammed and they couldn't open the breach to load the gun. I can tell you that everyone on board had a pucker factor of about 12, on a scale of 1 to 10.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to put this group up for sale. His photo album is on Ebay with a BIN of 99.99. I do not own it but saw it.

MilitaryCollector
My wish came true. Some more medals and a Navy Good Conduct engraved and dated 1938.

Wow! Would love to see those in a shadow box, and it would be a dream come true. Thank you for sharing

manayunkman
Wow! Would love to see those in a shadow box, and it would be a dream come true. Thank you for sharing

You are welcome and thank you for your comments.

M

• 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...