US Navy Group

manayunkman

Just got this today. I'm going back in a couple of hours because I just got a call that they found more. Hope you enjoy. Will probably put it up for sale in a couple of days.

post-51189-1327706069.jpg

post-51189-1327706091.jpg

post-51189-1327706152.jpg

What you have gotten so far is goood stuff! It will be interesting what else they have found! :thumbsup:

Thanks JS. I hope they found some photos and the rest of his medals. Just watching the clock tic at this point.

Thats very nice. The Master Chief had 28 years on his sleeve and only 16 years of good conduct. He must have been a hellraiser early in his career. :devil:

And I got photos. A photo album and some loose 8 x 10's. 2 hats as well white and khaki. The little gun boat has the number 102 on the bow. Can anyone ID it. Can't find anything on the internet.

Something else I have noticed is that there are 3 different versions of star placement on his Good Conduct medal. And in the photo his Pacific Theater ribbon has 3 stars buy there are no stars on the 2 ribbon racks.

post-51189-1327724734.jpg

post-51189-1327724767.jpg

post-51189-1327724805.jpg

post-51189-1327724828.jpg

And I got photos. A photo album and some loose 8 x 10's. 2 hats as well white and khaki. The little gun boat has the number 102 on the bow. Can anyone ID it. Can't find anything on the internet.

Something else I have noticed is that there are 3 different versions of star placement on his Good Conduct medal. And in the photo his Pacific Theater ribbon has 3 stars buy there are no stars on the 2 ribbon racks.

OK, first, the "Little Gun Boat" is an ATF. Fleet Tug. So look for ATF-102. Actually, it is USS Hidatsa ATF-102 Here is the Nav Source page http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/39/39102.htm

As for the stars, This guy did 30 years, I have multiple ribbon racks with various combinations of stars. Stars and the like were pretty much hit and miss. Some times you put them on, sometimes you didn't know you rated them, sometimes you just didn't bother. Looks like you have multiple bits and pieces, so different combinations are certain. Nice stuff, QMCM, Real Fleet Squid.

Steve Hesson

OK, first, the "Little Gun Boat" is an ATF. Fleet Tug. So look for ATF-102. Actually, it is USS Hidatsa ATF-102 Here is the Nav Source page http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/39/39102.htm

As for the stars, This guy did 30 years, I have multiple ribbon racks with various combinations of stars. Stars and the like were pretty much hit and miss. Some times you put them on, sometimes you didn't know you rated them, sometimes you just didn't bother. Looks like you have multiple bits and pieces, so different combinations are certain. Nice stuff, QMCM, Real Fleet Squid.

Steve Hesson

Thanks Steve.

Can you tell me what QMCM stands for ? And Real Fleet Squid is slang for ? They might be dumb questions but I have to ask.

M

Thats very nice. The Master Chief had 28 years on his sleeve and only 16 years of good conduct. He must have been a hellraiser early in his career. :devil:

Thanks Hink for supporting my post. I got this from his wife who was some 30 plus years younger than him and she didn't know much. All she knew was that he was very proud of his service.

M,

Great find, you seem to find the best items! I like the group especially the medal bars and the bullion rate but that bullion ship patch is too cool!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Philip

Did his 30 years and retired before Vietnam. I wonder how he felt about that.....maybe thought he missed out?? :think:

Interesting point JS. I am meeting with his wife this week. She has some more stuff in a back room that I was not privy to. I'll ask her if she knows anything about that.

M

M,

Great find, you seem to find the best items! I like the group especially the medal bars and the bullion rate but that bullion ship patch is too cool!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Philip

Thank you for the encouraging words Philip.

That patch is cool. Made in the USA !!!

Thanks Steve.

Can you tell me what QMCM stands for ? And Real Fleet Squid is slang for ? They might be dumb questions but I have to ask.

M

QMCM stands for his Rate (Job and grade). They literaly mean Quartermaster, Macter Chief, Or Master Chief Quartermaster. Master Chief is the highest grade an Enlisted Sailor can Reach. The grade was created in 1958. Quartermaster (in the Navy) is a Navigator. They own the ships bridge. They keep the charts, updating them, do the navigating (in those days with sextants and stop watches), they are the Master Helmsmen, manning the wheel during mast special evolutions (thus the ships wheeel for a speciality device), they keep the log. And, from 1948 to 1959, they were also Signalmen.

As for the term "Fleet Squid", there are many "Sailors' who spend most of their time in the Navy ashore filling shore billits. There are some rates that have no sea duty at all. QM (Quartermaster) on the other hand is a pretty much seagoing rate. The Master Chief had seven hashmarks, (service stripes). They are four years each, so most likely, he did 30 years. In his day, I would say the vast majority of that at sea.

The Good Conduct medal was dated 1935. So he had to have four years to get that, so start his clock at 1931. You are rolling into at least 1959, (I'd guess he retired about '61). Since the E-9 grade was not created until 1958, he'd have to obligate a few years after that to be advanced to the grade and retire in that grade. So, I'm thinking he went a few places, saw some things at a pretty interesting time in history and went home just before Viet Nam.

Steve Hesson

QMCM stands for his Rate (Job and grade). They literaly mean Quartermaster, Macter Chief, Or Master Chief Quartermaster. Master Chief is the highest grade an Enlisted Sailor can Reach. The grade was created in 1958. Quartermaster (in the Navy) is a Navigator. They own the ships bridge. They keep the charts, updating them, do the navigating (in those days with sextants and stop watches), they are the Master Helmsmen, manning the wheel during mast special evolutions (thus the ships wheeel for a speciality device), they keep the log. And, from 1948 to 1959, they were also Signalmen.

As for the term "Fleet Squid", there are many "Sailors' who spend most of their time in the Navy ashore filling shore billits. There are some rates that have no sea duty at all. QM (Quartermaster) on the other hand is a pretty much seagoing rate. The Master Chief had seven hashmarks, (service stripes). They are four years each, so most likely, he did 30 years. In his day, I would say the vast majority of that at sea.

The Good Conduct medal was dated 1935. So he had to have four years to get that, so start his clock at 1931. You are rolling into at least 1959, (I'd guess he retired about '61). Since the E-9 grade was not created until 1958, he'd have to obligate a few years after that to be advanced to the grade and retire in that grade. So, I'm thinking he went a few places, saw some things at a pretty interesting time in history and went home just before Viet Nam.

Steve Hesson

Piggingbacking on my last post, this is the page for the LST http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/...h-m/lst1048.htm Notice, it was commissioned in March '45, remnamed USS Morgan County in July '55. So if you find paper work with those two designations on them, you can date those photos. In the photo where he is reenlistinf (in khakis, there is a plaque on the bulkhead that I can see "LST" on.

It would be interesting to find out what other ships he served on. Both the LST and ATF are hard working ships, not at all "Sexy" like Battleships and Carriers, or even "Badass" like Destroyers.

Also, you do know that the uniform is NOT WW2, but post war, (1950s/1960s).

Steve Hesson

Piggingbacking on my last post, this is the page for the LST http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/...h-m/lst1048.htm Notice, it was commissioned in March '45, remnamed USS Morgan County in July '55. So if you find paper work with those two designations on them, you can date those photos. In the photo where he is reenlistinf (in khakis, there is a plaque on the bulkhead that I can see "LST" on.

It would be interesting to find out what other ships he served on. Both the LST and ATF are hard working ships, not at all "Sexy" like Battleships and Carriers, or even "Badass" like Destroyers.

Also, you do know that the uniform is NOT WW2, but post war, (1950s/1960s).

Steve Hesson

Thanks again Steve,

I very much enjoyed reading the information you gave. Great insight into who this man was. I am going over to see his widow again this week and hope to get some paperwork.

By the way he did serve on the USS Little Rock.

M

LIttle Rock, cool, Light Cruiser, armed with 6 inch guns. Fast and powerful. Survived a long time and was converted to missle cruiser. There's a thread about her in the Ships section. Your vet would most likely have seerved on her before conversion to Missiles.

Steve Hesson