Vietnam USMC Force Recon Patch Good or Bad?

redone

I like to get some input on this patch from anyone who is familiar with Vietnam era patches and Special Forces units. This looks to be a Vietnam era Japanese made patch. The front is very silky and soft as it should be. The backing material looks and feels correct also. My first concern is the staining and the wrinkles. Many fakes I’ve seen have this type ageing. It also has never been sewn on anything. Next the detail of the diver bothers me. His head, arms, and air tank are all out wack. Most Japanese made patches I’ve seen have very good detail. I know the quality of foreign patches vary, but I’m always concerned when I see work like the diver on this patch. I ‘d also like to know if this unit existed. This area of collecting is so polluted with fakes any input from collectors out there would be great. If anyone has examples of insignia from this unit I like to see them.

Thanks

Chris

post-1056-1197935383.jpg

post-1056-1197935447.jpg

vintageproductions

Definately looks Japanese embroidered. There is a fake of this design being made in Vietnam today, but does not have the Japanese embroidered traits.

As many of the Vietnam Marines here on the forum, myself included, will testify, wear of unathorized insignia, patches, etc..was strictly forbidden where ever you were serving, Vietnam included. The only unathorized patches I ever saw worn by Marines in VN were on flight jackets and flightsuits by chopper air crews, and that was only while on flight status. I believe it was either Commandant Gen. Chapman or the CG, IIIrd MAF that came out with the order "he didn't want his Marines looking like a bunch of Saigon pimps, so anyone caught with unauthorized crap on their person would be in big trouble". That isn't to say it wasn't made, but on my few liberties to Danang, I never saw any USMC patches being sold by the street vendors, only Army and Navy patches.

I'm guessing that if this patch is legitimate, it was most likely made and sold in Okinawa or Japan and for liberty jacket wear only, or a novelty patch, as already suggested.

As an interesting sidenote, a good Marine buddy of mine qualified and was awarded the Panamanian Airborne jump wings while serving as an Instructor at the School of the Americas, circa early 1970's. He had to petition and request from the Commandant General permission to wear these foreign wings. He was flat out denied permission and as far as I know, the rule of no unathorized insignia is still applied today within the Marine Corps.

s/f, Gary

vintageproductions

These type patches for the Recon units, were avaiable in Okinawa from the late 50's through the 80's. Your's looks like a later one. They were made for party jackets and souvenirs.