Marine Artillery Red wool trim - WWII

River Patrol

WWII patches aren't my thing but I got this from the vet.

What does the red trim signify?

Thanks much

Steve

A23.jpg

the back.

Bobgee, what makes it interesting? Is twill US made for these?

A23_.jpg

Red borders can also be found on other USMC patches – Para, Raider, and 1st Marine Division come to mind. There are a number of theories, as to the significance, such as having been on Guadalcanal or having served in combat with the unit. I’m not sure if the reason has been confirmed with certainty. However, whatever the reason for the red border, some patches were worn this way and having an authentic red border makes your example a great variation.

Thanks guys....I have a few more items from the marine. I'll probably have the lot at SOS. Talking to the vet, he said he volunteered for the largest gun assignment the marines fielded because he knew it would keep the enemy far away from his position.

Red borders can also be found on other USMC patches – Para, Raider, and 1st Marine Division come to mind. There are a number of theories, as to the significance, such as having been on Guadalcanal or having served in combat with the unit. I’m not sure if the reason has been confirmed with certainty. However, whatever the reason for the red border, some patches were worn this way and having an authentic red border makes your example a great variation.

You're absolutely correct about other units wearing the red background and that not all of the men who wore the red background were on Guadalcanal. I once had a Marine veteran call the red trim a "Battle Blaze." When I told him that I thought all of the Marine shoulder patches were called Battle Blazes, he replied that I was wrong. He said that they called their unit patches "shoulder patches or patches" and the ones who had seen battle could wear a red "battle blaze" behind them.

They are not official, so there can be wide interpretations regarding their usage.

Allan

88thcollector

I have posted this before long ago. I have read some where that the veterans of Guadacanal and maybe some of the earlier battles wore the red to distinguish them from the fresh arrivals that were getting all the women in NZ and Australia. I think it was in a book by James Jones{From Here to Eternity} titled "WW2."

I have just been in contact with a collector that has several of these obtained directly from vets. Some told the battle blaze story, most did not know and one said that was the way the tailor sewed it on.