Unusual EGA

trenchbuff

I picked up this ega today. It's approximately 1 1/4" tall and very detailed, but not a typical cap or collar device. It has a u-shape catch and is hallmarked HJ Sterling. I have an Navy Officer device by this same maker and of similar construction which came off a garrison cap. I've also seen the HJ hallmark on sweetheart jewelry, but none of it was this well made or this detailed. Could Marines have gotten away with wearing this on a garrison cap? Any opinions?

post-944-1327625591.jpg

post-944-1327625601.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
Could Marines have gotten away with wearing this on a garrison cap? Any opinions?

Anyone who tried would have been called out by the Sgt Major! These were indeed made for the "sweetheart" market as Fly has indicated...

Anyone who tried would have been called out by the Sgt Major! These were indeed made for the "sweetheart" market as Fly has indicated...

I'm sure you're right...in most cases. But I love to challenge conventional wisdom and I would be willing to bet some Marine out there put one of these on an overseas cap when the Sgt Major wasn't around or was a little too senior for him to call out. A case in point is the famous photo of General Doyen and his full length fur coat. I doubt that was an authorized uniform item, but I doubt anyone questioned him about it.

teufelhunde.ret
... A case in point is the famous photo of General Doyen and his full length fur coat. I doubt that was an authorized uniform item, but I doubt anyone questioned him about it.

He simply had not run into a Sgt. Maj. yet.... :evilgrin:

He simply had not run into a Sgt. Maj. yet.... :evilgrin:

Very true! I spent all my time in the Navy and they scared me to death!

It's a very good quality, do you think this was a production piece, or perhaps the Marine had it made himself? OR.....Herself!! :lol:

Production I'm pretty sure since I've seen the HJ hallmark on several other pieces. They did very nice work!

teufelhunde.ret
Production I'm pretty sure since I've seen the HJ hallmark on several other pieces. They did very nice work!

I recall reading about H.J. Sanders Co. being the maker of these pins. They were much more into the aviation sweetheart and such, than making service emblem or insignia lookalikes.

I recall reading about H.J. Sanders Co. being the maker of these pins. They were much more into the aviation sweetheart and such, than making service emblem or insignia lookalikes.

Makes sense. Thanks for putting a name to the hallmark.