My new Officer's M-1926 Dress Blues EGAs

USMCRECON

This set arrived in the mail today. I have a 1931-dated officer's blouse with un-punched collar that has been in need of a pair of M-1926 pinback EGAs and I got lucky enough to be high bidder on this set. I'm leaving the images fairly large so the detail shows better.

My sincere thanks to Darrell for calling my attention to them.

post-1107-1327609009.jpg

This isn't quite as easy to read. I took 5-6 shots and this is the best I could do. The wording on the bottom of the anchor is 1/30 RG on STERLING.

post-1107-1327609206.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments. And Darrell, thank you, again. I'd kind of given up for the time being and would never have seen them if you hadn't sent me the link. Here's a couple pix of the EGAs on the blouse. By the way, the second button from the top is an exact match replacement I got from Darrell a while ago, Thanks for that as well, Darrell!!

post-1107-1327615733.jpg

And here's the inside label. My mistake earlier; I'd called it a 1931-dated uniform but as you can se, in actuality, it's 1933-dated.

post-1107-1327615863.jpg

I'm thrilled to have gotten this pair. The only thing left in the "open" department now is a pair of EGAs for my WW-I - very early 20s dress blue blouse. I think I'm going to have to save a LOT of Green Stamps, assuming I even come across a pair for that set. I think the pair of Joe ***************'s replicas will have serve as a place-holder on the collar of that one for a while; probably a L-O-N-G while! ;)

Happy to help, they are perfect for your need!

This is one beautiful set of EGAs and uniform. Congrats!

And this is what I love most about this forum. Collectors helping each other out!

....Kat

Great find, Bill. They look great on the coat. Any history yet on this officer? Semper Fi.....Bob

Thanks Bob.

I haven't had time to do any research on him yet; at some point I need to do that. I'd like to finish the uniform off with a set of period ribbons for his entitlements if I can find out what they are. Being the early 1930s, he might only have had one or two ribbons....maybe none at all!!?? I definitely need to try to find out.

And here's the inside label. My mistake earlier; I'd called it a 1931-dated uniform but as you can se, in actuality, it's 1933-dated.

post-1107-1327615863.jpg

I'm thrilled to have gotten this pair. The only thing left in the "open" department now is a pair of EGAs for my WW-I - very early 20s dress blue blouse. I think I'm going to have to save a LOT of Green Stamps, assuming I even come across a pair for that set. I think the pair of Joe ***************'s replicas will have serve as a place-holder on the collar of that one for a while; probably a L-O-N-G while! ;)

I was just reading some replies to my post and noticed that someone asterisked the last name it out???

I just did a quick search for Lt Battell, USMC and the below site popped up.

"American Libraries....Full text of "U S Marine Corps Biographical Dictionary"

The url is: http://www.archive.org/stream/usmarinecorp...890mbp_djvu.txt

In the "B" section of this document I found the entry below. Could this possibly be the Lt Battell whose uniform I have here? The bio indicates he was at Mare Island from Nov 32 to Jul 33 and the uniform is dated June 33 from a Vallejo CA tailor. I'm not sure where Vallejo is in relation to Mare Island but a quick check of an on-line map should tell me something about that.

UPDATE: I just checked a map and Vallejo is right next to Mare Island. Seems reasonable to me. Any comments/thoughts on this?

BATTELL, William Putnam.

Major General. Assistant Quartermaster General, HQMC, (1963): b. Mediapolis, Iowa, Dec. 26, 1906. Gen. Battell attended Iowa State College prior to enlisting in the Marine Corps in Apr. 1927. After completing radio school and serving as an instructor at the Naval Radio Materiel School, Anacostia, Md., he was selected for Officers* Candidate School in July, 1929.

He was commissioned a second lieutenant on Jan. 31, 1930, at Quantico, Va. After brief duty at the Marine Barracks, Norfolk Navy Yard, Battell entered Basic School at Philadelphia, Pa., in Aug 1930. On completing the course in June 1931, he was assigned to the Marine Barracks, Navy Yard, Washington, D.C., prior to sailing for China duty.

In May 1932, he joined the Marine Detachment in Peiping, China, and on his return to the States in Nov. 1932, was stationed at Mare Island, Calif. In July, 1933, he began a year's duty aboard the USS Saratoga, and the following July was assigned communications duty at the MCB, San Diego, Calif. He was transferred to Quantico in Jan. 1935, and promoted to first lieutenant. In Sept. he entered the Army Signal School at Fort Monmouth, N.J. He completed the course in June 1936, then served a year as an instructor in the Basic School, Philadelphia.

In July 1937, he returned to Quantico, and was promoted to captain. In May 1938, Capt. Battell began another tour of sea duty, serving as Detachment Commanding Officer aboard the USS Arkansas and USS New York successively. In July 1939, he reported to the Depot of Supplies at Philadelphia, as Signal Supply Officer, remaining there until Sept. 1941. That month he was assigned to the Radio Division, Bureau of Ships, Navy Department, Washington, D.C., to serve as Head of the Marine Corps Installation

Home run, Bill! :twothumbup: I just checked my 1938 & 1941 USMC Registers and he is the only Battell listed. Great find! I suggest a call to Quantico historical branch and a request for his Personal File will net you a complete official bio with decs listed and maybe a photo or two! Semper Fi......Bob

Home run, Bill! :twothumbup: I just checked my 1938 & 1941 USMC Registers and he is the only Battell listed. Great find! I suggest a call to Quantico historical branch and a request for his Personal File will net you a complete official bio with decs listed and maybe a photo or two! Semper Fi......Bob

Thanks Bob......great idea. I have friends there and I'm going to give them a call on Monday.

The focus of this thread has now turned from just the EGAs to the uniform. In order to stay within the forum guidelines for subject matter, I've opened a new thread in the uniform section to feature the uniform including the EGAs rather than just the EGAs.