USS Little Rock CG-4, the last WW2 light cruiser

MattS

Just as we were getting ready to go back below from the open bridge, a Great Lakes Freighter came down the canal. My buddy Phil watched and commented that it's not everyday you get to watch that from the bridge of the last WW2 cruiser.

post-32676-1327604464.jpg

Way cool! I'd love to see her but I'm not going to New York to see her. My high school chemistry teacher was on the USS Oklahoma City, CLG 5, Little Rock's sister ship off the coast of Vietnam. Oklahoma City was sunk in a SinkEx several years ago.

Way cool! I'd love to see her but I'm not going to New York to see her. My high school chemistry teacher was on the USS Oklahoma City, Little Rock's sister ship off the coast of Vietnam. Oklahoma City was sunk in a SinkEx several years ago.

While I was stationed aboard AOE-2 in Bremerton. the OKc was anchored in Sinclair inlet near Gorst. I drove by her everyday. The chart table in our (CIC) chart room was from the OKC's flag chart room and was enormous.

post-9529-1327630918.jpg

This was a few years ago.

Is this the flag chart room? I have a few photos that I took and I don't remember what rooms/spaces/compartments they are.

That is probably flag plot - where the admiral's staff tracked the "big picture" similar to that of the ship's CIC but on a more broad scale.

VirtualMariner
Here's one I recognized from my enlisted days, the floor buffer storage locker! :lol:

I understand the new Navy has no buffers. Seems kind of like a slap in the face to those of us that spent many an hour making our decks shine. Kind of like giving our military folks boots that don't require shining.

I've been there and it is a great museum. :thumbsup: My grandfather served on the Knapp, a Fletcher DD so I loved getting to tour the Sullivans. There is a lot more to see here than on the Cassin Young in Boston.

• 4 months later...

Reviving an old thread....

The large compartment with the big map up front is indeed Flag Plot...this was Admirals country....I know because I've had a great tour guide several times...my Dad! He served in Flag Plot on board the OK City and provenance (and the St Paul too, but that was an all gun heavy cruiser). He was an RD2 on the Admirals staff...it looks big and empty because it was stripped, all the instruments and radar repeaters are gone...

I live in Buffalo, and am going to the museum tomorrow, taking my nephew (and Godson) Bucky to see them. My dad and I took him last year....he loved it, so I am taking him again (he is 6, only 5 last year, we pooped him out going up and down all the ladders...we never even made it to the sub!

It is a great museum, probably one of the best Naval Museums in the country, since it has three ships, including one that is truly one of a kind, the Little Rock. The last CL in existance, with the last existing 6" Naval Turret. They have lots of other stuff including a PT Boat, a tank, APC, planes, a nice musem, and all sorts of other artifacts.

I will get some new pics tomorrow and post them up...

While I was stationed aboard AOE-2 in Bremerton. the OKc was anchored in Sinclair inlet near Gorst. I drove by her everyday. The chart table in our (CIC) chart room was from the OKC's flag chart room and was enormous.

post-9529-1327630918.jpg I remember that cruiser anchored off Bremerton, I always wondered who she was and what became of her.

This was a few years ago.

I just visited the ships last week, they have added a portion to the museum which is located in afew onsite buildings. Hopefully you can get pictures to post them when you go.

David.

When I live in the Finger Lakes of New York, our middle school had a "Navy History Club" that I was a member of. We visited The Sullivans and Little Rock quite a bit. Of course the last time I was there was over 20 years ago (ack I'm getting old :o ) We had the opportunity to go in a few off limits areas, but not nearly as many as I would want to visit now.

Is that PT Boat still there too?

Mike

So went to the yard yesterday with my nephew. It was great as usual....didn't really notice any new compartments opened up...but did notice that they opened a hatch to the forward fire room on the little rock, and had a plexiglas sheet in place so you could at least see down into it...I had not noticed that before. Maybe they are getting the propulsion spaces in shape to open them up. That would be cool, as they have some open in the Sullivans, and that is a really cool thing to see.

One part that has been open is the missile handling rooms of the Little Rock. I remember the first time we went on them back in '87 when I was visiting UB before going there in the fall, my dad was amazed at seeing inside. When he was aboard the OK City and provenance, that space was classified, and only the GMMs and Marine guards were allowed access....he had never seen inside them before!

Still an amazing museum, with a lot of great artifacts...if you are interested in this sort of thing, and you are near Buffalo, it is a must see.

Oh, the PT boat is a "Nasty" class PTF....

post-2803-1340541909.jpg

They completely re-did the berthing system a few years ago, and set-up what looks to be a pretty state of the art berthing for all three...

post-2803-1340542029.jpg