Anyone have an idea what these are?

hawkdriver

I was at an auction and was bidding on a aviator kit bag and these were thrown in the mix. Normally I would have just thrown them away as I was walking out the door, but then it dawned on me that these came out of the same lot as a Navy emergency life preserver that was UDT marked. Until I find out if they are or not, I thought I would ask.

What say ye.

14xjuqc.jpg

5z4d4y.jpg

vostoktrading

I don't know what they are but I learned a long time ago not to throw something away until I was sure what it was.

Must be someone on here who knows?

Red Ball is a brand of commercial boot and I think they were or are still made in wisconsin.THese look similiar to a liner for a wading boot for fishing.I know there are several types of waterproof fishing boots.Some made with felt soles for wading in stream beds.These could be a waterproof liner or liner for warmth.Possibly something to wear in swin fins also

This said a lot of the early UDT and SEAL gear was commecially produced and aquired.Its anybodys guess Hawk

Ok, I don't have a clue about these, but please read on! Through the magic of Google, I did run across an old ad that shows something very close that is marked Thermolite Ball Brand. It is an ad for a skin diving sock and is found here: http://www.skindivinghistory.com/mfg_retai...ving_Co/04.html

Hopefully, before they get pitched, someone will be able to confirm what they are.

I just found another ad that I could attach:

post-203-1327574949.jpg

Hawk

As I said much of the UDT stuff was commecially made divers gear pressed in to service.Maybe some of the UDT/SEAL vets here can chime in.

(by the way keep them...they dont eat much :lol: )

• 2 weeks later...
I was at an auction and was bidding on a aviator kit bag and these were thrown in the mix. Normally I would have just thrown them away as I was walking out the door, but then it dawned on me that these came out of the same lot as a Navy emergency life preserver that was UDT marked. Until I find out if they are or not, I thought I would ask.

What say ye.

14xjuqc.jpg

5z4d4y.jpg

They look like the rubber booties that we were issued in both UDTRA, BUD/S, UDT, and SEAL TEAM. They were used with swim fins to prevent blisters and chafing. They were on their way out when I got to the TEAMS in 1970. I would say that Navy Divers probably used them as well. I never did see them with any manufacture's markings. They were replaced with neoprene booties. We also wore heavy cotton/wool blend dive socks, coral boots and even jungle boots when wearing UDT fins (Voit Duckfeet or the US Divers copy)

Thanks for that info. Since I have a Navy life preserver from the same guy with UDT-11 written on it, I think that these may be part of the guy's grouping.

I was in SEAL TEAM ONE from 70-73 and our compound was part of the UDT 11, UDT 12 and UDT 13 area. What is the name on the UDT vest? By the way UDT 11 became SEAL TEAM FIVE. My son served in SEAL TEAM FIVE. He was in BUD/S Class 174. I was BUD/S Class 57.