Post your SpanAM through WWI Navy uniforms

ChrisG43

The insignia on uniform

post-2501-1240776948.jpg post-2501-1240776939.jpg

Jason

Another of those great anommilies. The Signalman rate was not established until July 1921, so this is a post WW1 uniform. But, the overseas strips indicates that the Sailor was a WW1 vet. But then again, anything with a Signalman crow is fantastic!

Steve Hesson (Retired SM)

Another of those great anommilies. The Signalman rate was not established until July 1921, so this is a post WW1 uniform. But, the overseas strips indicates that the Sailor was a WW1 vet. But then again, anything with a Signalman crow is fantastic!

Steve Hesson (Retired SM)

Steve,

Didn't the Coast Guard have a "Signal Quartermaster" rating in 1917? Do you think this uniform be from a Coastie?

Chris

Steve,

Didn't the Coast Guard have a "Signal Quartermaster" rating in 1917? Do you think this uniform be from a Coastie?

Chris

Chris, No, the Navy had Signal Quartermasters at that timewith a set of crossed flags and one to three bars underneath below the crow.

Jason, multiple tallies on these hats was very common. I would suspect that the one under the armed guard tally is a generaic US Navy tally. That was used by Sailors not attached to anything such as schools or other training or just temporarly assigned somewhere.

Steve

Nce uniform everybody!!!!!

I have a few, can only get to a couple for now.

This is a ww1 navy petty officer uniform. I have his hat also which has armed guard on it. The uniform has a 3rd class signalman rating and has the ww1 oversea's service stripe.

post-2501-1240776824.jpg

post-2501-1240776813.jpg

Jason

By the way, the neckerchief is on backwards. That is the back of the knot showing. Just lift the whole thing off and flip it over.

Steve

By the way, the neckerchief is on backwards. That is the back of the knot showing. Just lift the whole thing off and flip it over.

Steve

Thanks again for the information.

Jason

Here's a little grouping I got a few years ago. Everything is named to the same person. Consist's of his dress blue jumper and his hat ( USS NEW HAMPSHIRE) along with his undress blue and white jumpers. I have his pants for the undress whites. He was a Coxswain.

His hat...

post-2501-1240960660.jpg

Jason

Inside of hat...

post-2501-1240960799.jpg

Jason

His dress jumper..

post-2501-1240960840.jpg post-2501-1240960863.jpg

Jason

Rating badge....

post-2501-1240960954.jpg

Jason

Undress blue...

post-2501-1240961059.jpg post-2501-1240961143.jpg

Jason

Rating Badge..

post-2501-1240961223.jpg

Jason

Undress white...

post-2501-1240961281.jpg post-2501-1240961293.jpg

post-2501-1240961309.jpg

Jason

Thanks to everyone for participating in this thread, but just to get it back on topic; this thread is supposed to be about Span Am to WW1 Navy uniforms. Please feel free to start new threads for later Navy or Army Span Am war uniforms.

Cheers!

Chris

Cobrahistorian
Thanks to everyone for participating in this thread, but just to get it back on topic; this thread is supposed to be about Span Am to WW1 Navy uniforms. Please feel free to start new threads for later Navy or Army Span Am war uniforms.

Cheers!

Chris

Uhhhhh.... yeah.... I knew that....

Sorry, I saw SpanAm and got a little carried away. Pay no attention to the GI behind the curtain...

• 1 year later...
Bob Hudson

I had posted this elsewhere, but it should go in here for reference purposes. It's a WWI uniform worn Chief Petty Officer Frank Bryan Taylor, born 1896. He was a radioman. There are not trousers with this but it does have the hard-to-find waistcoat ("vest") worn by chiefs.

Here's how the coat and vest look with a piece of WWI radio gear he brought home:

taylor1.jpg

taylor3.jpg

taylor4.jpg

taylor9.jpg

The waistcoat has a rear buckle:

taylor13.jpg

Coat labels:

taylor12.jpg

The coat sleeve lining:

coat_pit1.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here is a recent addition to my Indiana collection, the USNA jacket worn by Jonas H. Ingram. Ingram graduated in 1907 and went on to be awarded the Medal of Honor for "distinguished conduct in battle" during the engagement at Vera Cruz in 1914. He went ashore with an artillery and machine gun unit from the USS Arkansas. More information can be found here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...9&hl=ingram

post-203-1330117553.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I love WWI Navy, I got turned onto it after I watched The Sandpebbles. I needed to get a Machinist 1st Class WWI uniform in my collection after watching the film. Luckily I found both a Blues and Whites for my collection.

I picked this up a Kaiser Bills, didn't pay much for it but it is named to a L.C. Swanson. This had to be one of the most complete WWI groupings and many pieces from this collection are still floating around his shop.

My whites are in the garage I will pull them out next time I'm in there.

BTW When did the direction of the Eagle change, I can't seem to remember!

Leonardo

post-20589-1330964052.jpg

post-20589-1330964068.jpg

I love WWI Navy, I got turned onto it after I watched The Sandpebbles. I needed to get a Machinist 1st Class WWI uniform in my collection after watching the film. Luckily I found both a Blues and Whites for my collection.

I picked this up a Kaiser Bills, didn't pay much for it but it is named to a L.C. Swanson. This had to be one of the most complete WWI groupings and many pieces from this collection are still floating around his shop.

My whites are in the garage I will pull them out next time I'm in there.

BTW When did the direction of the Eagle change, I can't seem to remember!

Leonardo

The eagle turned to the front for left arm rates in 1940. Remember, the uniform should be inside out and the trousers do not have creases in them.

Steve Hesson

Stinger Gunner USMC
Here is a recent addition to my Indiana collection, the USNA jacket worn by Jonas H. Ingram. Ingram graduated in 1907 and went on to be awarded the Medal of Honor for "distinguished conduct in battle" during the engagement at Vera Cruz in 1914. He went ashore with an artillery and machine gun unit from the USS Arkansas. More information can be found here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...9&hl=ingram

post-203-1330117553.jpg

Very nice! I happen to have Admiral J. J. Cumming's uniform, who was another young LT at Vera Cruz from the Arkansas Battalion who served alongside Ingram. I will be posting a lengthy topic on him later this year but there is still a ton of research to be done first!!!

Very nice! I happen to have Admiral J. J. Cumming's uniform, who was another young LT at Vera Cruz from the Arkansas Battalion who served alongside Ingram. I will be posting a lengthy topic on him later this year but there is still a ton of research to be done first!!!

Look forward to seeing the uniform and the research. I am requesting Ingram's records and if I find anything of interest on the Arkansas Bn, I'll pass it along to you.

• 6 months later...

This is an old thread but there is some great stuff in here for sure. I will add to this thread. Here is a set of whites that belonged to Christopher A Knoth who served 1907-1911. He was Onboard the USS Panther auxiliary during the Great White Fleet cruise.

FE7B0D7F-98EA-4E86-AF1A-066275D98078-10905-00000A1123103361.jpg

96D1A144-E1FA-45CE-9E02-954A3BE1A91D-10905-00000A114088FFCF.jpg

31ADC915-6411-4D1A-93F7-B75DA56CCCF5-10905-00000A112AC19FF9.jpg

EC101C6F-7CBD-49C1-B0C4-37758C817420-10905-00000A1132A68B61.jpg

69178968-0FAB-4B85-BB1D-42D64115180D-10905-00000A1139679EC8.jpg

This is an old thread but there is some great stuff in here for sure. I will add to this thread. Here is a set of whites that belonged to Christopher A Knoth who served 1907-1911. He was Onboard the USS Panther auxiliary during the Great White Fleet cruise.

Wow...that is a fantastic set of whites. They look like they were never worn! Good score!

• 1 year later...

I just found this thread and I love the naval uniforms of this era. I recently acquired a few very nice pieces, so I thought it would be nice to bring this thread back and encourage more people to share! Most of the items are from one group named to Lt. Commander William Augustus Richardson, USNA class of 1910, who had a very distinguished career that lasted until the early 1930's. He landed in Nicaragua in 1912, Veracruz in 1914, and was awarded the Navy Cross during WWI as well as the Silver Citation Star which later became the Silver Star Medal. He was also in Nicaragua again in 1928.

Here is his service coat:

x65NF8L.jpg

Dated August 1918:

mWzyeHu.jpg

Overseas chevrons:

nV97vkB.jpg

Collar bullion:

3tJkALZ.jpg

The auction included a vest, which I believe was meant for Chief Petty Officers. Richardson must just have liked them:

ebEJJTr.jpg

The vest is named to him and dated September 1919:

hRpBwCq.jpg

Close up of the early-style button:

cg7QdTn.jpg

To continue, I also have his evening dress uniform:

2FpP76m.jpg

4Se7Zwq.jpg

This one is dated 1910, though the pants are dated 1922.

wl6hQd4.jpg

I also have a very nice blue service cap which, unfortunately, did not belong to the same officer:

bNpVCjb.jpg

ItHG0R7.jpg

HQmqJlo.jpg

HnKrFxB.jpg

Finally, I have always thought that uniforms look much better on display than laid flat on a table. I don't have any mannequins, but, fortunately, these uniforms all actually fit me! I know that the striped pants don't go with the service coat, but the person who sold these broke up the group (if anyone knows who won the other auctions which had his boat cloak and another evening dress jacket, please let me know, I have bought most of the other military items) and he sold the pants that went with this coat with an evening dress coat instead...

uzVUugS.jpg

With the vest:

yPB26qR.jpg

And the evening dress uniform:

o1MUsqw.jpg

XMSrCLu.jpg

• 2 years later...
DocCollector1441

I have a quick question about uniforms in this time frame, more specifically for the immediate post-WWI.

Has anyone seen any evidence of the use of WWI overseas service stripes on the dress white jumpers or was this just indicated by wear of the WWI victory medal?

I have a quick question about uniforms in this time frame, more specifically for the immediate post-WWI.

Has anyone seen any evidence of the use of WWI overseas service stripes on the dress white jumpers or was this just indicated by wear of the WWI victory medal?

The original orders specify yellow chevrons for white uniforms, but I have never seen one, or even a picture of one.

Victory Medals did not start going out till late 1920, IIRC.

Justin B.