WW2 US Civil Defence Helmet

AustYank

Heres a CD Wardens helmet i have.

I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about the Stamp on the Rim Please :think:

It Reads 3 7 7 M P L W D

Thanks Mick

post-69117-1327469233.jpg

post-69117-1327469211.jpg

Interesting Civil Defense helmet as it is olive drab. Most I've seen are white. These are an interesting study area as there are a number of decals that were used by CD officials. Jack

• 2 years later...

question. i see all the charts of these CD insignia but all of them show this air raid warden insignia the other way but i bought one the same as the one above but white and its also backwards?

post-125364-0-41248300-1412594999.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

question. i see all the charts of these CD insignia but all of them show this air raid warden insignia the other way but i bought one the same as the one above but white and its also backwards?

attachicon.gifarw.jpg

I've seen them at all kinds of angles mostly upside down.

I've seen them at all kinds of angles mostly upside down.

yeah i guess i just always found it odd that the signs show it one way but people just put them however they wanted

SergeantMajorGray

yeah i guess i just always found it odd that the signs show it one way but people just put them however they wanted

probably not much uniform regulation in the Civil Defense as long as they were making people feel like they were safe and you can tell that the decal was air raid warden it didn't matter.

probably not much uniform regulation in the Civil Defense as long as they were making people feel like they were safe and you can tell that the decal was air raid warden it didn't matter.

makes sense

The standard Civil Defense helmet did not have a rivets on the top or rim and were marked Government Property. It looks like a WWI helmet being reused with the rough paint removed and repainted.

The standard Civil Defense helmet did not have a rivets on the top or rim and were marked Government Property. It looks like a WWI helmet being reused with the rough paint removed and repainted.

you are right, heres a picture of my low dome Civil Defence helmet, no rim or rivets

post-125364-0-97746600-1412990691.jpgpost-125364-0-52744000-1412990693.jpgpost-125364-0-16016400-1412990695.jpg