The DI

craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

The DI (1957) starring Jack Webb will be on Sunday night (1/29) at 8:00 PM om TCM. It has been several years since I have seen this. About a year ago I got to looking for it and found out it isn't shown as much as it used to be. I don't think it is available on DVD either. Better watch / record it while you can.

It really is very much worth watching if you have not seen it!

And by the way, if you are going to BCT, NEVER call the Drill Sergeant a DI! Just a personal observation.

G

The DI (1957) starring Jack Webb will be on Sunday night (1/29) at 8:00 PM om TCM. It has been several years since I have seen this. About a year ago I got to looking for it and found out it isn't shown as much as it used to be. I don't think it is available on DVD either. Better watch / record it while you can.

Craig my friend, The DI is very much available on both DVD and VHS.

This is among some of my favorites from The DI.

Remember what The DI G/Sgt Moore said to the Boot in the 1957 classic THE DI.

MOORE -Those Side burns come off boy you understand, we dont wear side burns in this Marine Corps ! you know who wears side burns dont you ?,

BOOT- YES SIR !

MOORE -Well you ain't got no guitar !

:evilgrin:

Do you think G/SGT Moore was referring to this guy ? :D

post-34986-1327740656.jpg

"Ya'll hafta excuse Private Owens...he's tiiiiired an' overworked an'....UNDERLOOOOOVED-uh!!!"

"Hey, Owens- you slap anotha one o' them sandfleas, me 'n you goin' round 'n round..."

-Pvt. Hillbilly

Hahaha!...i just watched it tonight, what a classic!...filled with great one liners and the sand flea murder was the best!!...some excellent scenes with full gear and camo helmet covers taboot!!....mike :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just watched it too: that wake up call with the Coke bottle on the inside of the trash can brought back memories: at age 15 I went to Devil Pups (a Marine Corps program designed to convince teenagers they should join the Air Force) at Camp Pendleton and the first time they woke us with that setup I thought a freight train had entered the Quonset hut.

Watched it last night for the first time in many years. As I enlisted in Sept 1956 this film is comtemporary to my hitch. Brought back a lot of memories.....of my D.I. :evilgrin: TSgt Davis, and JDIs SSgt Rubacho, SSgt Parker and Cpl Merz in Platoon 350, MCRD Parris Island. I salute them! :salute: The mix of uniforms and the way gear was worn & displayed was very accurate. And the memories of those Damn Sandfleas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Standing at rigid sweating attention with those microsopic bugs crawling in your ears and up your nose!!!!! It was maddening........and you could do nothing about them!!!!! If you did....you sufferred greater consequences. Semper Fi, Do or Die, Devil Dog Marines! :smokin: Bobgee

"Ya'll hafta excuse Private Owens...he's tiiiiired an' overworked an'....UNDERLOOOOOVED-uh!!!"

"Hey, Owens- you slap anotha one o' them sandfleas, me 'n you goin' round 'n round..."

-Pvt. Hillbilly

PVT Hillbilly was played by one Charles A. Love, Tecnical Sergeant, USMC.

Watched it last night for the first time in many years. As I enlisted in Sept 1956 this film is comtemporary to my hitch. Brought back a lot of memories.....of my D.I. :evilgrin: TSgt Davis, and JDIs SSgt Rubacho, SSgt Parker and Cpl Merz in Platoon 350, MCRD Parris Island. I salute them! :salute: The mix of uniforms and the way gear was worn & displayed was very accurate. And the memories of those Damn Sandfleas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Standing at rigid sweating attention with those microsopic bugs crawling in your ears and up your nose!!!!! It was maddening........and you could do nothing about them!!!!! If you did....you sufferred greater consequences. Semper Fi, Do or Die, Devil Dog Marines! :smokin: Bobgee

USMC GENERAL ORDERS

1st General Order:

To take charge of this post and all government property in view.

2nd General Order:

To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.

3rd General Order:

To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.

4th General Order:

To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guardhouse than my own.

5th General Order:

To quit my post only when properly relieved.

6th General Order:

To receive, obey and pass on to the sentry who relieves me all orders from the commanding officer, officer of the day, and officers and noncommissioned officers of the guard only.

7th General Order:

To talk to no one except in the line of duty.

8th General Order:

To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.

9th General Order:

To call the corporal of the guard in any case not covered by instructions.

10th General Order:

To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.

11th General Order:

To be especially watchful at night, and during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.

12th General order:

"To walk my post from flank to flank and take no sh*t from any rank.

PVT Hillbilly was played by one Charles A. Love, Tecnical Sergeant, USMC.

As I remember, most of the major characters were played by Marines, including "Joey", the other D.I. who harrasses Moore in the bar.

Time for another viewing... :thumbsup:

As I remember, most of the major characters were played by Marines, including "Joey", the other D.I. who harrasses Moore in the bar.

Time for another viewing... :thumbsup:

Thats right, there where some who where Boots, Hillbilly is one, a the hispanic boot is another. Yesterday, I added the DVD on to my wishlist over on Amazon.

• 8 months later...
history-buff1944

The D.I. is now available on DvD through the Warner Brothers website. I think they released it about 4 or so months ago. Also, its supposed ot be a tribute of sorts to: "Tell It To the Marines" which starred Lon Chaney Sr.