USAF UNIT INSIGNIA

BEAST

And who put the velcro on the group/wing/squadron insignia? I am restoring a Desert Storm era flight suit and have been watching EBay for the proper velcro back squadron insignia. Not only have I not seen a velcro version show up, but I have noticed relatively few velcro back insigna in general.

Was the velcro put on by the manufacturer or by the unit?

I'm no authority but I was in the USAF from 1978-2005 and can at least speak for the units I was in. We started going velcro in the mid-1980's and by Desert Storm, where I served with the 3552nd Composite Wing, F-4G Wild Weasels, combat units were, to my knowledge, all velcro. Don't really know when the rest of the USAF started using it but I do have photos of USAFE F-4 aircrews wearing velcro in 1979. Also, I have several Vietnam era patches from the 469th TFS and they are on original velcro.

Will

I have some Atlas F Missile & squadron patches form the 6th Bombardment Wing (H) that are from the early 60's, that have velcro on them

I don't believe there was any use of VELCRO (by any branch of the military) before 1969, & then it was first used by the U.S. ARMY to attach NAME TAPES (only) & (not any other patches, or insignia), & was only used on an experimental Jungle Uniform; that was tested being worn by a battalion of Armor troops, & a battalion of the 82nd AB; so any general issue of Velcro on uniforms, or equipment would have to be after 1969.

Guys, thanks for all of the replys. Doas anyone know who put the velcro on the insignia? I assume it is the manufacturer, but would it have been done at unit level also?

And does anyone happen to have a 1990's era 305th Refueling Squadron insignia that is velcro backed?

Laury Allison
Guys, thanks for all of the replys. Doas anyone know who put the velcro on the insignia? I assume it is the manufacturer, but would it have been done at unit level also?

And does anyone happen to have a 1990's era 305th Refueling Squadron insignia that is velcro backed?

I'm sure it has varied over the years. When I was at First Air Force, our patches arrived from the manufacturer with the velcro already attached. I'm sure there have been other units in the past who had the velcro attached locally (most likely by the rigger shop). When I was issued flight suits in late 2003 or early 2004 (I don't remember exactly when I got them), I had to take the flight suits and jacket to the base dry cleaners to have the velcro squares added. The patches were issued by my Orderly Room/Personnel Section and had the velcro already on them. I remember seeing boxes of them in the storage room that all had velcro on them (except for the subdued versions for BDUs).

Laury