Boot Camp Cartoons

Rustykamel

Boot camp cartoons are fun to look at, but only after graduation. Can anyone tell me where the term “boot camp” comes from? There was a definition published in a 1946 Leatherneck where the author, a Marine sergeant, states that it started with circa 1900 rubber boots issued by the US Navy. Is this nonsense? Any and all opinions appreciated.

Sincerely, Jim Shaw

post-397-1197843918.jpg

post-397-1197844045.jpg

post-397-1197844141.jpg

post-397-1197844209.jpg

Paul Dickson in his book War Slang claims Boot Camp was first used in the Civil War and by WWI it was commonly accepted. He also writes that Boot was slang for Marine and Navy recruits in the 19th century because of the leggings they were issued. I know it doesn't clearly answer your question but I thought it might provide some direction.

Jim

Paul Dickson in his book War Slang claims Boot Camp was first used in the Civil War and by WWI it was commonly accepted. He also writes that Boot was slang for Marine and Navy recruits in the 19th century because of the leggings they were issued. I know it doesn't clearly answer your question but I thought it might provide some direction.

Jim

Hi Jim, Many thanks for your information. I reread what the Leatherneck staff writer had to say, but can't tell if he did his homework or not. Giving credit to the navy sounds like something Canteen Guru would want to go to war over. So, now we need a Civil War buff forum member to confirm "boot" or "boot camp" was used as early as the 1860's.

Thanks again, Jim

I don't think we have many CW buffs. might need to attract some....

We still refer to the junior Marines with less than 2-3 years in service, or less than a combat deployment, as 'boots'

Hi, Sgt. Harry Polete, the Leatherneck Magazine staff writer, wrote that the term "boot" was first used about 1900 when navy recruits were only issued rubber boots. The rubber boots or bare feet made it easy to spot recruits trying to run away. After graduation, a seaman was issued shoes, but still needed his rubber boots when he joined the fleet. The rubber boots protected his feet while swabbing decks. Old salts had tough feet and didn't need boots, so, new 'boots' discarded their telltale rubber boots just as soon as their feet could take the punishment of a wood deck. I have no idea if this tale is true, but it is colorful, and I thought I’d share it.

Best wishes, Jim

I don't think we have many CW buffs. might need to attract some....

I'm a War Between the States buff, but have never heard the term "boot", being applied to new recruits of any service on either side. Just because I'd never heard of it, or read about it, doesn't mean it couldn't have been done. Back in those days the term "fresh fish", was a common term used to describe anyone new to the service.

I tend to think the term came into use much later. Just MHO.

I'm a War Between the States buff, but have never heard the term "boot", being applied to new recruits of any service on either side. Just because I'd never heard of it, or read about it, doesn't mean it couldn't have been done. Back in those days the term "fresh fish", was a common term used to describe anyone new to the service.

I tend to think the term came into use much later. Just MHO.

Hi Lee, Thank you for your input---it’s a big help. I hope that I didn’t offend using “Civil War.” The 5th South Carolina Infantry was my father’s grandfathers unit.

Thanks again, Jim

craig_pickrall

I live 25 miles from Appomattox and could not tell you the last time I heard War Between The States. Around here it is always Civil War. I really don't think there was much Civil about it though.