What Is This Giant Vehicle??

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

This thing is HUGE! Anyone know what it is? I suspect that this may be a captured German vehicle, and the GI standing next to it is marveling at its size as well.

It looks armored. How do those wheels execute a turn as they seem too close to the body of the vehicle to be able to do so? It also sorta of looks like something out of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Regards,

Charlie

Giant_Vehicle.jpg

Beats me, although I agree, it appears to be a loader of some kind.

Faun GmbH, heavy trucks, et al., had a factory in outside of Nuremberg, I believe. It could be one of theirs....

Cheers,

AB

Charlie Flick

Yes, that is it! Nice work, guys.

Gut, you had a good eye there spotting the articulated joint. This thing was known as the Raumer S made by Krupp.

Here is the substance of the info that AB found and linked us to:

"In 1944, Krupp constructed the prototype of a super heavy mines destroyer. This monster of 130 t was articulated in its center, and was suspended on 4 wheels out of steel of 2.7m covered with shoes. Each part of Raümer S was propelled by Maybach HL90. The prototype of Räumer S was captured at the end of the war by the U.S. Army."

Thanks for helping me figure this odd pic out.

Charlie

Anyone else think it looks like a prototype of the vehicles in Damnation Alley? think.gif

I must admit I looked twice to see if that was actually a GI standing by the vehicle as the exact same idea popped into my head.

Great minds think alike? think.gif

Yeah, right!

tom

• 1 month later...

There was a great need for building materials in France after WW2. Most tanks left on the battefield were scraped, and this is probably what happened to this vehicle.

Part of it is now somebody's barn door now.

I saw other examples of parts of a Waco being used (part of tubing as leg of a workbench, lock of the side door used to lock a greenhouse, helmet to feed chickens with, part of the frame used as a wheelbarrow, etc).

Not to mention the barrel of a Panther being used as a drainage "system" and another barrel (Tiger or Panther) being used to support the roof of a barn.

So I am not really surprised.

Erwin