My WW1 Uniform Collection

Dave

Dave, awesome collection. I'm salivating as I look at your photos. Anyway, like you, I collected WWII for about 20 years and last summer I decided to concentrate on id'd WWI uniform groups. I have about 75 uniforms and about 15 good groups. How many unis and groups do you have? I recognized a few groups you have, as I mostly acquire my uniforms via the internet. I missed out on that 109th signal battalion uni you have. I also noticed a few from Bay State Militaria....Scott's a good guy. Anyway, nice stuff.....happy hunting and take care of yourself overseas. Your service is appreciated by many of us. I was a Corpsman in the Navy back in 90-94. Later.

Ryan

Another beautiful French tailored uniform with the unusual straight-cuffed trousers belonging to 2nd LT Edwin M. Noyes of Duxbury, MA. He joined the American Ambulance Field Service, Dartmouth College Unit in May 1917 and served as the Sous-Chef for Section 28. Transfered to the Aviation Section, Signal Corps in July 1918 and was discharged in March 1919.

NoyesEM.jpg

Here's another that was getting pieced out on eBay... This one belonged to C. Baxter... don't know much more than that. Should be fun for some research!

Baxter.jpg

This one belonged to Dr. Henry J. Lupien, who was a noted doctor in Brockton, MA. He entered service in July 1918 and served in the AEF as an Advance Sector doctor. He was discharged in September 1919.

LupienHJ.jpg

Here's an interesting group to 1st LT W. Jacobs, 35th MG Batt. He never went overseas, but still has four hashmarks for his 2 years of stateside service, on both his jacket and then three on his overcoat.

JacobsW.jpg

This group belonged to 1st LT A.W. Robinson of the 26th Division. He definately needs more research! It's yet another nice French-tailored uniform. B) Interesting to note is the American Defense ribbon on his jacket. This was how the group came out of the estate, so..... think.gif

RobinsonAW.jpg

Dave that is an AMAZING collection considering you have been collecting WWI for less than a year. You have probably amassed more than some collectors do in 20 or 30 years. Simply amazing, can't wait to see more. thumbsup.gif

This uniform belonged to Arthur J. Plourde, who served with the Third R.R.&C. District (not sure what that was) in Dijon France to June 1919 as a driver.

PlourdeAG.jpg

The last one (for real) for this evening... (back is killing me, eyes are blurring...)

This one belonged to Samuel C. Rich, who served with the 11th A.S.S. (not sure what that was?) according to his dog tags. This one definately needs more research done. A nice aside for this one is that it was featured in "More Silver Wings, Pinks and Greens". Since I've owned a good number of WW2 uniforms from both volumes of this great book, it was only fitting to add a WW1 one to my collection! thumbsup.gif

RichSC.jpg

This great private purchase uniform belonged to Howard S. Fenner. I can't remember what unit his patch stands for though! A super jacket with a great patch!

It is Railway Artillery Reserve. I was in that unit, or at least its lineal descendent while stationed on Okinawa in 1970-1972, the 30th Artillery Brigade (Air Defense). If you ever should want to part with that one (and you remember this) contact me.

TrenchRaider1918

Those are some great finds, I've been collecting doughboy stuff for about a year now but haven't got nearly as much as you! I only collect infantry though. Very nice! Always glad to see someone into WWI, it's coming up on 100 years soon. Also glad to see you grouping things back together that people break up over ebay and stuff. Good luck in your travels!

Dave,

Great start that you have there! Good luck on your tour too. And, I hope you have better luck than I've had in tracing out your named groups. I've found that I'm batting around 30% give or take with the 30+ named tunics that I have! Besides, Chris ended up with a lot of my better named groups before my kids decided they wanted everything! At least I know the named Baloon Corps Master Baloon tunic has a good home in Texas! If you need anything in terms of research, I go to the archives from time to time.

John

This is one of my favorite uniforms as it's HEAVY, French made and named to Luther Blice of the 81st Infantry (anyone know what unit the white cat stood for?) BUT, I have only found dead ends for researching him. Like not even a cul-de-sac, but straight dead ends...how frustrating!

Dave,

Great collection .... thanks for sharing.

The white wildcat designates the one hundred and sixty-first infantry.

Tim

Guys, thanks for all the compliments! A few more for this evening...

All collections need an Oozlefinch, and you can't get much better than a wounded Oozlefinch! This one belonged to Pfc. E.R. Gallinger.

GallingerER.jpg

I generally stay away from cotton uniforms, but have been suckered into a couple really nice ones. ^_^ This one belonged to Pfc. Ralph L. Jordan of New Portland, ME. He enlisted in April 1918, and served in Co. E, 6th Engineers, 3rd Division to his discharge in August 1919. He served in the AEF from May 1918 to August 1919.

JordanRL.jpg

This jacket belonged to 1st LT John B. Wallace of New Haven, CT. He served "on the border" in 1916 as a 1st LT with the 2nd CT Infantry. In August 1917, was brought in as Adjutant, 3rd Battalion, 102nd Infantry, 26th Division. Was wounded on 17 March 1918 and again on the night of 20/21 April 1918 at Seicheprey, France. Was promoted to Captain on 27 April 1918, and was cited for "bravery or meritorious service" and was nominated for the Croix de Guerre. Discharged in September 1919.

Almost forgot, this jacket was made in France as well. B)

WallaceJB.jpg

This jacket belonged to Otto A. Arnston, who was a 1st LT with the 369th Infantry that served with the French Army. He was awarded the Croix de Guerre, and was a lawyer in the Chicago area both before and after the War. Research continues...

ArnstonOA.jpg

Guys, thanks for all the compliments! A few more for this evening...

All collections need an Oozlefinch, and you can't get much better than a wounded Oozlefinch! This one belonged to Pfc. E.R. Gallinger.

Dave -- Can we have a closeup on this patch? The RAR used RR mounted naval guns -- I can't believe an RAR member would have been close enough to the front to be wounded unless perhaps he was a forward observer! Do you have any more of the story?

Thanx.

G

Being a sucker for the District of Paris, this group just called my name... It belonged to Band Leader Isaiah Mackey, of the District of Paris.

MacKeyI.jpg

Dave -- Can we have a closeup on this patch? The RAR used RR mounted naval guns -- I can't believe an RAR member would have been close enough to the front to be wounded unless perhaps he was a forward observer! Do you have any more of the story?

Thanx.

G

Gil-

Here's the pic! I don't know anything more about the soldier...I bought this from a fellow forum member who's probably the most reputable out there dealing with these items... perhaps he might have more of the story?

Dave

Oozlefinch.jpg