My WW1 Uniform Collection

Dave

This one belonged to Earl M. Cutting of Roxbury, VT, who served with the 301st Infantry (Co E.) and then served with the 163rd Infantry, 41st Division. He served overseas from July 1918 to February 1919.

CuttingEM.jpg

For you 4th Division fans! This group belonged to Chester C. Maulfair, 58th Infantry Regt., 4th Infantry Division, 3rd Army. Note the mini 3rd Army patch in the middle of the 4th patch!

MaulfairC.jpg

All I have on this guy is that he was Pvt. Mace, who served with C Company of the 3rd Army MPs. He's medical corps, so I assume he was probably one of the company docs.

Mace.jpg

This is one of my favorite uniforms as it's HEAVY, French made and named to Luther Blice of the 81st Infantry (anyone know what unit the white cat stood for?) BUT, I have only found dead ends for researching him. Like not even a cul-de-sac, but straight dead ends...how frustrating!

BliceL.jpg

Blice2.jpg

This is one of my best research stories yet... I bought this uniform from an estate picker off eBay. It was one of my very first uniforms and my first French made one. All it was named to was H. Green. I was e-mailing with another collector and he mentioned he had some 42nd Division unit histories. So, I asked him to look up H. Green, and sure 'nuff, it turned out to be confirmed to Herlwyn R. Green, the surgeon for the 117th Engineers! The insignia on it was just how it came from the estate. I've done everything I can to leave these uniforms exactly as I found them.

GreenHR.jpg

This beauty belonged to 2nd LT William E. Littlefield of Exeter, NH. He was a replacement officer in Company I, 16th Infantry, 1st Division in August 1918. He was cited in June 1919 by General Order number 5 of the 1st Division for "gallant and courageous conduct" presumably during one of his two campaigns: St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne.

LittlefieldWE.jpg

This group belonged to Edwin Peterson of Malden, Mass. who served with (you guessed it!) Motor Truck Company 413, Motor Transport Corps. He has a great array of French ribbons on his chest!

PetersonE.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love all my uniforms, but some give me the gooosebumps they're so cool. This is one of them. This one belonged to 1st LT George Russell Harding, who served as an Ambulance Driver for the American Field Service on the Verdun Front from June to November 1917. Was then commissioned with the Aviation Section of the Signal Corps in January 1918 and served with the Headquarters, American Air Service in Paris (thus the District of Paris patch) and in Tours. This uniform is great because it brings together some great things: 1) it researched out well (like WOW research!) 2) it's French tailored (I love it!) and 3) it's a District of Paris uniform (and I'm a sucker for the District of Paris!)

HardingGR.jpg

This great private purchase uniform belonged to Howard S. Fenner. I can't remember what unit his patch stands for though! A super jacket with a great patch!

FennerHS.jpg

Fenner2.jpg

This uniform belonged to 1st Lt Simpson, 318th Field Artillery, 81st Infantry Division. It too is French tailored with beautiful 81st "cat" on the shoulder and a nice letter from his widow dating back to 1981.

Simpson.jpg

This uniform belonged to Edward K. Standish (perhaps a descendant of Miles?) of Stoughton, MA who served overseas from October 1918 to March 1919. With his civilian background (not certain what it was) he was directly commissioned as a Captain. Interestingly, he wore his Advanced Sector patch on his right sleeve vs left sleeve. Wild.

StandishEK.jpg

This uniform was tailor made in Le Mans, France for Major Frank Piper, US Medical Corps. He was a 1st LT in the Medical Corps Reserve when he was called to active duty in June 1917. He was assigned to the 103rd Ambulance Company, 26th Division in September and promoted to Captain the same month. Served at a French hospital until October 1917 when he was assigned to the 104th Infantry, and then the 101st Infantry in December. He became the battalion surgeon for the 2nd Batt, 101st Infantry in January 1918. He was promoted to Major in March 1919, and was discharged in April 1919. He was personally commended by General Pershing: "For distinguished and exceptional gallantry at Verdun on the 23rd of October, 1918".

PiperF.jpg

This neat group belonged to a wounded soldier from the 76th Division, Company A, Machine Gun Battalion by the name of Henry H. Rhinevault. Interesting to note is the "make your own unit patch" kit that he kept!

RhinevaultHH.jpg

This uniform belonged to Alfred Woollacott of Fitchburg, MA. He served in Company B, 6th Mass Infantry (later 26th MP Company), 26th Division during the War. Afterwards, he was mayor of Fitchburg.

WoollacottA.jpg

Last one for tonight (maybe)

This one belonged to Lester F. Butler of Norwood, MA. He served with Company A, 312th Engineers, 87th Division from June 1918 to June 1919. He later had a career as a printer at the Plimpton Press in Norwood and passed on the day after Christmas in 1974.

ButlerLF.jpg

Great assortment Dave! Those officer's groups especially! Do you have any more field-grade or higher uniforms?

Justin

Thanks Justin-

I have three Majors - one posted above on this page, Major Green's on page 2 and one more coming up. I just haven't found a good IDed LTC or above that is the right combination of interest-quality-price yet to add to my collection. Hopefully sometime soon...

Dave

Stinger Gunner USMC

I really like your 313th Engineer grouping. That was my Great Uncles' unit in the WWI. I had never seen a grouping for the unit

Thanks for all your posts,

Wonderful Collection!

Thanks for all the compliments! A few more for this evening... the rest will come towards the end of the week. thumbsup.gif

This one belonged to S.M. Tatum, 49th Field Artillery. Nothing tremendously spectacular, just a nice clean uniform...

TatumSM.jpg