My WW1 Uniform Collection

Dave

I'm heading overseas shortly and decided to take pictures of my WW1 collection before I put them into deep (and secure) storage for the duration... pinch.gif I figure all might enjoy looking at the groups and finding out a little more history about them. Most of these are unresearched and I plan on doing more research as time goes by. I've shot about 1.3 GB of pics so far (about 300) but only plan on posting up one per group.

As an intro for those who don't know me, I collected WW2 US uniforms (and other things) for 21 years and this past March (2007) decided to sell my entire collection and concentrate on WW1 Army uniforms. I have bought all but one of these uniforms via the internet...goes to show that you don't have to pound the pavement for nice stuff all the time... it's as far as your keyboard... thumbsup.gif

Enjoy!

Dave

This one belonged to James E. Betts, 28th Division. This was an eBay purchase - his daughter in law pieced it out over eBay. I missed his trousers and overcoat (go figure, they sold for WAY more than they were worth... no idea why) but I did get the jacket and in e-mailing with her, got two great books about the 28th in WW1 (if anyone has more of the series, let me know!) The BEST part I didn't photograph though... he was wounded in action, and there's a letter to his mom from the Red Cross telling her that they haven't heard from him, and then a second letter from him detailing what happened! Very cool!

Dave

BettsJW.jpg

BettsJW2.jpg

This one is to William E. Beck, Company B, 109th Signal Battalion, 1st Army. I bought this one off eBay from his granddaughter and his daughter was nice enough to include a very nice letter detailing his history with the group.

BeckWE.jpg

This group belonged to Clement Carroll, Company L, 108th Infantry, 26th Division. There's a large stack of letters home to his mom from his time in the AEF starting in 1917 and going through early 1919.

CarrollC.jpg

This group belonged to Clarence G. Rockhill, who started out with Repair Section 11, Repair Unit 322, Motor Transport Corps and later served with the 41st Division as a truck driver.

RockhillCG.jpg

Next up is a group to Robert Kennedy, 28th Division. The guy who got this uniform from the vet was smart to keep the shipping label with it!

KennedyR.jpg

I'm a sucker for French tailored uniforms, so I had to pick this one up. He's an Infantry Captain in the 2nd Army. Unfortunately I can't read the name on the tag. I'd spin it off, but maybe someday I'll get lucky and match the odd name with someone...somewhere...

Unknown1.jpg

UnknownTag.jpg

The butcher, the candle stick maker...and here's the baker! This group came from Pfc. William G. McMannis, who is listed as "Cook" for Company E, 4th Battalion, 20th Engineers, 1st Army.

McMannis.jpg

This group belonged to L. "Bass" Morton, 313th Engineers, 88th Division. His claim to fame later in life was running a couple times (and losing) for county sheriff of Blount County, Alabama.

MortonLB.jpg

This group belonged to W.A. Gleason, who served in the 302nd Infantry, 76th Division. This uniform is a bit unusual as it actually has a 76th patch on it.

GleasonWA.jpg

This group belonged to Carl G. Fullerton, Battery E, 146th Field Artillery, 41st Division and later with the 3rd Army for occupation duty. This group was parted out on eBay by an antique dealer and I got nearly all of it. Cost a helluva lot, but it's a great group!

FullertonCG.jpg

This group belonged to Pvt Len D. Kerr, Co. E, 139th Infantry, 35th Division. He was wounded and has the accolade. He also has his Victory Medal in the original mailer, but unfortunately no Purple Heart...

KerrLE.jpg

I'm heading overseas shortly and decided to take pictures of my WW1 collection before I put them into deep (and secure) storage for the duration... pinch.gif I figure all might enjoy looking at the groups and finding out a little more history about them. Most of these are unresearched and I plan on doing more research as time goes by. I've shot about 1.3 GB of pics so far (about 300) but only plan on posting up one per group.

As an intro for those who don't know me, I collected WW2 US uniforms (and other things) for 21 years and this past March (2007) decided to sell my entire collection and concentrate on WW1 Army uniforms. I have bought all but one of these uniforms via the internet...goes to show that you don't have to pound the pavement for nice stuff all the time... it's as far as your keyboard... thumbsup.gif

Enjoy!

Dave

Dave,

My heart goes out to you! I have some idea how you must feel. I had all my stuff in storage for about 12 years. The upshot though was when I finally got it out of storage, I had forgotten many things I had! It was like getting it twice--the second time for free!

Back in the day, when I was living in Korea, I remember waiting impatiently for the old paper Manion's catalog to arrive in via the APO. Of course, now-a-days, with fantastic sites like Bay State Militaria, Advance Guard Militaria, and yes even good ol' ebay, you no longer have to quit collecting when Uncle Sam takes you overseas--all you need is an internet connection and a credit card.

I kept my stuff in climate controlled storage near my folks house. That way, my parents could check on it for me from time to time, and also as I got new things, they could put it all together.

Best of luck and have a safe trip.

Chris