51'compass, what is it?

hawkdriver

These are the M1950's that I have.

post-5-1328129104.jpg

post-5-1328129115.jpg

Here are a few more with different dates and makers:

9-51 Lee and Stemwedel, 10, 11, 12-51 Brunson

1-52 Brunson, 5-52 Lionel, 3-53 Lee&S, 9-66 Union Instrument..

1985 modern.. with a m1950 pouch....

post-2641-1328139680.jpg

Hi fellas

Is it possible that those golden/greenish/bronzish parts have been given an alodine finish? It's a chromate conversion coating for aluminum

It was fairly common once, but it's a toxic process. Good for use on 'as made' al. parts for corrosion resistance though. There's a milspec for it, not sure how long it was used by the US military

Hi fellas

Is it possible that those golden/greenish/bronzish parts have been given an alodine finish? It's a chromate conversion coating for aluminum

It was fairly common once, but it's a toxic process. Good for use on 'as made' al. parts for corrosion resistance though. There's a milspec for it, not sure how long it was used by the US military

Hi Chris,

I agree that it looks like it is an alodine finish. I mentioned that earlier in this thread but it did not gather any interest. BTW, I used alodine products on aircraft aluminum well into the 1990s, I don't think it is used anymore as you said it is pretty toxic.

Thanks,

Chris

I don't know how I missed your suggestion that it was alodine, Chris! Alodine was my first thought, especially when the colors seemed different from piece to piece. I was once going to get the aluminum intake on my muscle car alodine coated, but the cost per unit was pretty high for a one off, and I wasn't going to mess with the stuff myself for love or money