51'compass, what is it?

hawkdriver

Looks basically like a WW2 model-design.Has the AN stamp.I am guessing its like on WW2 era gear meaning Army/Navy.You see a lot of the AN stamps on flight gear.Maybe its for an air crew survival kit???

I had just never seen anodized metal like this before and you normally don't see these engineer style in Korea, they are usually the newer lensatic style. Hadn't thought of Aircrew, will have to research that one.

craig_pickrall

I've got one of these dated DEC, 1950 and the earliest of the new style I have is dated OCT, 1951.

craig_pickrall
I also have a green one and as far as I remember a gold one - I have to dig them out...

I'm guessing the gold one is for civilian sales and made in an Asian country. You can still find those today in stores similar to Wal-Mart in the $10 to $15 range. They look like the WW2 compass except for the color and of course they are no where close to the quality of an original.

craig_pickrall
So, this would be the transitory time when they were going to the new lensatic compasses then.

I haven't seen any thing in print on these but that was always my assumption.

I also have a green one and as far as I remember a gold one - I have to dig them out...

I know what you mean but mine is NOT civilian. ;)

I know the asian knock offs that are sold everywhere for 5 bucks :lol:

I ahve to dig for it - may I´m wriong and it is green bot I think it was gold... will send pictures later

got it - its more bronze that gold. I think its just a shade that turned out a bit different during the galvanization process (or anodizing - don´t know...).

post-5069-1327409473.jpg

post-5069-1327409485.jpg

But I have not found my green one. I only found a 1950 dated wrist compass with green aluminum housing. These are older pictures which I already posted somewhere.

IMG_7756.jpg

IMG_7755.jpg

craig_pickrall

That compass is very nice. Since it is dated 1949 it may have been a first attempt of applying that finish to aluminum and it came out with a golden tint. I'm surprised those were made that early. I thought they were because of the shooting war in Korea.

My father carried one on these in Korea 1952-53; it's dated 12-49 and is in an oiled pouch. Looks just the the one in post #11, except it's got a black finish (the pouch is also the same as the one in post $11)

craig_pickrall

The pouch shown in post # 11 is the larger pouch intended for the new style compass with the scale on the side.

It looks like a regular lensatic style WW2 compass. Obvioulsy later dated. I think the gold finish is a alodine type chemical conversion coating on the aluminum case. The original lensatic compass in the first picture looks as though it has been painted green over the alodine finish. Alodine gives that burnt tan/gold color to aluminum and the longer the alodine is applied the darker the gold finish will be.

Chris

These compasses came in various anodized finishes even from the same maker. I have found posting on the web that indicate the bright gold or bronze typed finished models made by Superior were for civilian use even though they look the same as the military models. However, I have seen them boxed with instructions that are not military which leads me to believe that the posters may be correct.

Below are models that I pulled from my collection to demonstrate the different colors during production in what I call the last run of type II m1938 lensatic compasses prior to issue of the M1950 with edge rule. I call them type II because the last nomemclature I have found lists the bulky round lensatic as M1938. Approx 1940/41 the normal lensatic compass (type II my designation) starts appearing with the small zippered pouch but I have not found a new designation listed anywhere.

9, 10, 11-49 all from superior ., bronze, green, black (not the same finish on wwii types), 9-50 Marine Compass - greenish, 3-51 Superior ..black

I have a few more compasses that I posted pictures of in the thread below of the undated M1950 compass.

Hope this helps ...

regards

post-2641-1328106345.jpg

I've got one of these dated DEC, 1950 and the earliest of the new style I have is dated OCT, 1951.

Craig, I'll have to check my compasses, the earliest M1950 ( I assume this is the new model) I have is Sept, 1951, probably a Lee and Stemwedel

craig_pickrall

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showforum=155

This is the link to the Compass Reference Section that has several good thereads on various compasses. I'm sure there are other threads as well that will turn up with a search. Just wanted to be sure that anyone with a real interest in compasses didn't miss this.

ccyooper, you seem to have a good knowledge of compasses. I wonder if you have any ideas on this pouch? We have kicked this around for several hours of discussion but never got a positive answer. It has always been "best guess".

post-5-1328128580.jpg

post-5-1328128586.jpg

post-5-1328128593.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showforum=155

This is the link to the Compass Reference Section that has several good thereads on various compasses. I'm sure there are other threads as well that will turn up with a search. Just wanted to be sure that anyone with a real interest in compasses didn't miss this.

ccyooper, you seem to have a good knowledge of compasses. I wonder if you have any ideas on this pouch? We have kicked this around for several hours of discussion but never got a positive answer. It has always been "best guess".

post-5-1328128580.jpg

post-5-1328128586.jpg

post-5-1328128593.jpg

Craig,

I have had several of these over the years but I will have to look to see what I have now. That is a nice pouch, almost looks too good. Computers can do some wierd things with color and fabric texture. Almost all of the ones I have had with the dura snap have the same texture, look, and feel and edging as the normal lift the dot pouches from late 44 thru 45. except for the hanger and belt material which leads me to believe that they might have been an emergency order for either Market Garden or Varsity and the gov't excepted a non-standard pouch from a contractor. I am not trying to imply that they were made only for airborne troops but that they had a shortage and they wanted some in a hurry for a large operation, etc. That said, I don't believe I have had any that were waterproofed. The compasses that I have had with mine, have mostly been dated Superior's late 44 or 45 which is a second basis for my opinion. I believe the compass cases were made by one of the companies that was producing first aid pouches, such as WLMC or other company that was making pouches with the off color green straping and metal hangers. Another approach is that they were produced during the Korean war to make up for shortages. That webbing is either late wwii or korea. I don't believe they were produced later because they were already using the M1950 compass pouch, the first aid pouch/lensatic compass dual use pouch with hanger, and later the M1956 first aid/compass pouch so there would be no reason to produce these.

Note: I believe all the M1950 pouches have brass hangers.. the dura snap pouches all have metal hangers... snaps on the snap pouches can either be metal or brass (united carr)... just an observation.. which further leads me to believe they were late wwii or early korea.. that said I'm sure some kid will provide definitive proof that they were made during the 60's.... Ok.. how is that for a second best guess... sorry I can provide the proof we all seek.

I expect that the compasses were issued as a supply item maybe with a pouch as they are now. I have never seen a box full of compasses (prior to 1980's) ready for issue so I'm not exactly sure how they were issued. My guess is that they came with a pouch, same as the earlier compasses did (leather pouch/marching, m2/leather, early Gurley with zippered pouch, etc.,) and either the compass or pouch could be ordered as a supply item if damaged. I know, only speculation and opinion but I have had a lot of compasses and that is what I have observed. I know someone out there has conducted research and can probably tell us when the Gurley and Superior contracts were made and if a pouch was included.

Something to think about. I'll post some of mine as soon as I dig them out.

Regards,

CC

Craig,

Here are three that I have now. Note they are all used and they contained US compasses when I obtained them. I may have obtained the one marked intel school off of ebay a few years ago..

Curt

post-2641-1328138402.jpg

Craig,

Here are three that I have now. Note they are all used and they contained US compasses when I obtained them. I may have obtained the one marked intel school off of ebay a few years ago..

Curt

Same pouches .. metal snap, metal snap, brass snap (united carr) like yours

post-2641-1328138603.jpg

craig_pickrall

CC Thanks for the input. I know it is best guess but it seems to be based on lots of experience. Sometimes that makes for better best guesses. Hopefully this new discussion will produce someone with the answer.