5217th 1st Recon Bn

mortaydc60

Noticed this recent addition to ebay for this very rare patch of the 5217th 1st Recon Bn. Usually to my knowledge originals of this patch should be on wool with the Southern Cross constellation oriented differently. What does the forum know? Would like to hear from my expert in this area Bob Capistrano who has written an article in the ASMIC TP and his Dad was a member of the unit. Mort

PS the referencepost-565-1327197814.jpg

Noticed this recent addition to ebay for this very rare patch of the 5217th 1st Recon Bn. Usually to my knowledge originals of this patch should be on wool with the Southern Cross constellation oriented differently. What does the forum know? Would like to hear from my expert in this area Bob Capistrano who has written an article in the ASMIC TP and his Dad was a member of the unit. Mort

Please check this out. Post was in error place with wrong group by me. Surprised there has been no reply. Mort

vintageproductions

Mort-I saw this in person and it is a screamer.

A member of this forum found it at a garage sale on a heavily damaged Ike jacket.

Mort-I saw this in person and it is a screamer.

A member of this forum found it at a garage sale on a heavily damaged Ike jacket.

Bob- Thanks for the information; my guess is that it was made during Japanese occupation period or could it even be made in the Philippines. Thanks again and will be watching the upcoming Combat Cash show. Mort

Bob- Thanks for the information; my guess is that it was made during Japanese occupation period or could it even be made in the Philippines. Thanks again and will be watching the upcoming Combat Cash show. Mort

Mort,

I don't know the history of this particular patch but do know that it was never worn by the 5217th/1st Rcn Bn while it was active. The wool Australian patch has the Southern Cross while this one has a poor rendition of the Big Dipper. Maybe it was made by a vet after the war, but without more provenance, I'd wouldn't pay the big bucks just on a hunch.

Bob

Mort... I had one of these in my hand a long time ago... appeared to be Japanese made... It is pictured in the ASMIC Armor & Cavalry Catalog under 1st Recon Bn.

Whoever did it had a bad recollection of what the Southern Cross looked like...

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening Mort, I saw you were on earlier today. Gil asked me a question about an old MICOR friend from the past. Hope you can help Gil as my recollections may be more than a little "rusty". <smiles>

Tom

BTW, what do you think of this one...

Attachment: (1 .jpeg)

post-9136-1328493743.jpg

It is now on the eBay auction, being sold by another ex-Army type who lives about 15 miles from me, Bob. It is sold as a 1921 Bastain Bros. strike for the government, it was for Naval-Marine service in 1898. It is unique (he said) because of the three jump rings and the brooch used.

It caught my eye (and fancy) but bidding starts at $49 (0 bids now) and that baby will sell for $100+ easily. Out of my range.

Thanks, Mort,

Best to you and family,

Tom

EOM/tmh

Mort,

I don't know the history of this particular patch but do know that it was never worn by the 5217th/1st Rcn Bn while it was active. The wool Australian patch has the Southern Cross while this one has a poor rendition of the Big Dipper. Maybe it was made by a vet after the war, but without more provenance, I'd wouldn't pay the big bucks just on a hunch.

Bob

Hello again Bob,

The patch Mort is showing looks somehow "odd" to me, my first take was to think it looked like a number of other Asians we saw coming out of Thailand after Nam. The full embroidery and crude stitching may give it away. I am thinking like you and Mort that it should be on wool.

Best wishes,

Tom Harvick,

Midlothian, VA 23114-3258

Odd coincidence; I was reading Les Hughes' article on the Philippine Airborne on insigne.org tonight. He mentions:

"(A close-but-no-cigar effort to reproduce this patch occurred in the ‘50s. The copies feature an olive drab border, a rounded-shield shape, and, erroneously, the Big Dipper rather than the Southern Cross.)"

Please pardon my lack of expertise, but was the eBay patch good, or bad? It sure seems to fit the description of the reproduction mentioned in the insigne.org article.

Thanks and Regards,

- Robbie